Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Discouraged

Default Discouraged

Hi, let me just explain my situation, I had a baby via c section on the 25th of July and a week later I was in the er getting pain meds and lasix for medical issues and it cause me to not be able to breast feed afterwards for at least 24 hours then as a side effect the lasix almost dried my milk completely up, so from then on I've been working really hard to get my milk back up. I pump because I feel my baby doesn't feed aggressivly enough to help me make more milk, I have taken fenugreek, eat and drink well and get rest when possible and I have been on reglan for three days so far and am still unable to get enough milk to feed her without supplementing with formula..at max I have gotten 2 oz and she eats 3 to 4 oz.....im becoming very worn out and discouraged and on the brink of giving up please help!

Default Re: Discouraged

Hi and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you had a really rought start. the good news is, milk production is not static and usually can be increased. I have some questions that I hope will help us get a better idea of how to help you-

Are you off the lasix and on the mend, physically, now?

can you tell us-

Have you & baby been seen by a board certified Lactation Consultant? (IBCLC)

How many times a day baby nurses
    How many times a day baby is given a bottle
    How many ounces baby is getting per day of expressed bm
    how many ounces per day of formula
    How many times each day you pump (and what kind of pump)
    is baby being fed using paced bottle feeding techniques when getting a bottle
    how is/was baby's weight gain. When did baby get back to birth weight, and on average, how any ounces a week has baby gained since two weeks of age?

No im not in lasix anymore, we have not been seen by a lac consoltant mostly because there is not alot of support in this area where I live, baby rarely nurses because I pump she eats from a bottle every three hours and about 2 oz of that everytime is breast milk and 1 to 2 oz is formula depending in if she eats 3 or 4 ozs, I pump every three hours exceot between the hours after 11pm and before 5 am with a medella pump, I feed her through a platex vent air and she is burped every 2 ozs, shes is slow tongain but since her 2 weeks and getting formula she has gained weight well it took 2 weeks to get back to birth weight not sure what she weighs now because we have not been to doctor

Ok, so what do you want to do now? You have many directions to try.

Work on increasing your milk production, with the goal of providing baby with more breastmilk via pumping?
    Encourage baby to nurse at the breast?
    Both?

A baby learns to breastfeed by breastfeeding, and typcally, nursing a baby at the breast is much easier and more efficent than pumping. If baby is unable to get enough via breastfeeding, additional bottles and pumping may be needed.

Your baby does not need to nurse 'aggresively" to get milk. I am not sure exactly what that means, but normaly, nursing is pretty gentle. It does not feel "agressive"

Also, I hate to be picky but I need daily totals, not "every such and such hours," I promise it really does give me a better picture if you can tell me daily totals. if I end up doing the math, I always get it wrong.
    If baby nurses less than once a day, tell me, every two days, or once a week, or whatever it is. How many ounces per day of breastmilk, of formula, does baby eat each day, how many times you pump each day, etc.

shes is slow tongain but since her 2 weeks and getting formula she has gained weight well
    So, has baby been weighed since two week appt or not? If not, how do you know that the gain is good since two weeks?

it took 2 weeks to get back to birth weight not sure what she weighs now because we have not been to doctor
    it is normal for a newborn to lose weight teh first several days and for it to take two weeks from birth to get back up to birth weight. When was baby diagnosed as slow to gain? BY whom? Who told you your milk had tanked? I believe lasix and all your issues would affect your production, but the question is, how much and for how long? Your babies weight gain history sounds normal.

we have not been seen by a lac consoltant mostly because there is not alot of support in this area where I live,
    But is there any support? Any LLL Group, any IBCLCs in practice? Are you in the USA? LLL USA has a national LLL Leader helpline. You are also welcome to pm me and I can send you my phone number and talk with you if you like.

Also, how do you like to get your information? Books? online articles? i can suggest either.