Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think this nursing strike might be the end...help please

Default I think this nursing strike might be the end...help please

Lo is 9.5 months. He has always been a great and efficient nurser, but never really comfort nursed. He has also always been EXTREMELY impatient. He has pretty much been on an off=and-on nursing strike since about 4 months old, with better times in between. I have a slower let down, and it slows down throughout the month, I'm guessing related to hormonal changes in my body.

So basically every month we would be getting back on track after the last month, only to be hit with another nursing strike. For the past 1-2 months, I have basically only been able to get him to stay on the boob long enough to get a let down, by propping my phone up and letting him see a lullaby video while he sucked. (I know this sounds insane, but literally nothing else worked). He would also only nurse in a dark, quiet room, etc. and it had to be the same dark quiet room, forget trying to nurse anywhere else. With this crazy set-up, he was nursing about 6-8 times a day, including 2-3 times at night. He was sometimes more patient at night, sometimes not.

We have now been hit by the worst nursing strike yet. My very good friend got married, and I took him along, but he refused to nurse the entire time we were gone (3 pm - 1 am, didn't nurse until 3 am). The next day he nursed fine, but that night it all went down hill. I was very stressed at the wedding, and I'm sure that has something to do with it, combined with my letdown just slowing down as it sometimes does. I cannot get him to wait at all. He will latch on for a few seconds, and then try a couple more times, but then he just gives up. I have been pumping to let down and then putting him on the breast, because I want to keep up my supply. But that is not helping him get back to nursing really. Even if I pump tp let down, he is just eating enough to take the edge off, and then refusing.

He has never taken a bottle or sippy cup, but I did offer him a bottle yesterday out of despair, and he took it. I thought I was ok with being done nursing, but I don't think I am. I don't see how we will come out of this.

He barely eats any food - only a few ounces of purees 3 times a day.

Default Re: I think this nursing strike might be the end...help plea

Wow Mom, your situation sounds sooo similar to mine. We have been dealing with this for months and I always end up pulling out the pump to get the letdown. I often try to wait her out, but she will go 8 to 12 hours without nursing, seemingly fine to do so!! I look forward to hearing what others suggest might be the issue of might help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kadiebug12 View Post
    Wow Mom, your situation sounds sooo similar to mine. We have been dealing with this for months and I always end up pulling out the pump to get the letdown. I often try to wait her out, but she will go 8 to 12 hours without nursing, seemingly fine to do so!! I look forward to hearing what others suggest might be the issue of might help.
    The only thing I can think of is this: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-milkflow.aspx

In my opinion, it's all about milk flow. I am part of the online support group that Mobi offers via Yahoo Groups, and Bev Morgan who wrote this article leads the group.

Anyway, Momofboys256, you say your baby was an "efficient" nurser, meaning the milk was removed fast and then baby was done? No hanging out afterwards, ever? My baby was exactly like yours in the beginning (up to like 6 months). Almost seemed to hate nursing at times, very picky about when and where, but she was a big baby, healthy, gained well. I thought it was pretty much the end at 6 months. Then, something started to change. Now I have to pry her away from nursing for comfort for up to an hour if she had her way. That never happened the first 4-5 months, I had oversupply.

We had always nursed to sleep for bed time, since she was 3 months old. That's something that held us together, I think. Had it not been for that, and night nursing in bed with her, I'm not sure we'd still be going right now at almost 9 months old. Anyway, no matter how much she seemed to dislike nursing, bed and naps worked out as nursing to sleep. I feel like everyone says that's a bad habit, but that's probably one of the only reasons she made it through.

I can't say why your baby refuses to feed, but mine used to as well. As if she only was nursing the bare minimum to survive because she disliked it so much. But now she enjoys it.

I wonder if you had oversupply and it changed at 4 months when you say the strikes began? Maybe that really bothered your baby to the point of striking. Mine seemed upset when that happened as well, but she moved past it. Same as you, we've never used a bottle, not even once.
    and Mama to two little girls

also, I'm sure a slow letdown does bother some babies. My letdown isn't always fast, sometimes it takes 30 seconds. Sometimes it takes 2 minutes. My baby does get a bit impatient if it takes the 2 minutes, but I can speed it up by stimulating the other nipple. That always helps a lot. Not something conducive to nursing in public...but we usually feed at home anyway.

Also, do you have specific cues for yourself for nursing? I need them. I have specific thoughts I think, things I look at, I make sure I can touch baby's skin. I have to really focus on her, either directly or indirectly, in a positive way. I had a period of very slow letdowns, where it took like 5 minutes. It was awful, but having all those cues and sticking with them really helps. My letdown is slower when we're out in public but it's getting much better, and if I am stressed about the feeding or anything else. I have to work really hard on de-stressing.
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; August 28th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
    and Mama to two little girls

Oh, momofboys, I'm so sorry for all the heartache and headache you're experiencing. There's nothing more heart wrenching than feeling anxiety around nursing.

This sounds a lot like my son around the year mark (now 22 months, still nursing voraciously!), only he would stay on the breast for ages and only get minimal milk flow. It made me so insecure about my ability to nourish my son. I saw Dr. Newman at 13 months, started taking domperidone, and my supply and flow rate rebounded literally overnight. The issue disappeared immediately. DS still nurses upwards of 10-12 times per day now at 22 months, and I'm excited to nurse into the "beyond 2 years" phase.

I don't mention my story to diagnose, but rather to explain that an informed medical opinion may be merited. I'd drop Dr. Newman a message at the link below for a medical opinion.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...d=62&Itemid=33

My heart goes out to you, but I know you can overcome this challenge and have a long and successful nursing relationship! You can do this!!!

Hugs and love,
    Alphawoman