Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler and New Baby - HELP! **for New Beginnings**

Default Toddler and New Baby - HELP! **for New Beginnings**

Can you share your tips and experiences with this mother for New Beginnings Magazine? Your replies may appear in a future Toddler Tips column. Responses can also be sent to toddler.tips@lllusa.org.

"My second baby was just born and I feel completely overwhelmed. My toddler still needs attention, I am nursing the new baby constantly, and I am exhausted. I feel as though it is impossible to meet everyone’s needs! How have other mothers coped with the intense postpartum time while helping their toddlers adjust?"

THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts. It is this mother-to-mother support and wisdom that makes New Beginnings a great publication!

Default Re: Toddler and New Baby - HELP! **for New Beginnings**

My younger child was born when my older one was four. Not really a toddler anymore, but still very much in need of attention. The way we managed was to up the number of days she went to nursery school, and to get a regular babysitter who would care for her while I napped with the baby. When I was alone with both kids, I admit that I relied on television quite a bit, especially during those stressful moments when the baby was very young and needy and the four year-old was especially antsy. But the absolute best thing I did was to have a good stroller and a good sling. With a sling and a stroller, I could get both kids to the park or a store or the library, where my older one could get some of her energy out. And being able to put the baby in a sling meant that I could have one, sometimes both hands free to help the older child.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal - you always have such practical, thoughtful answers. I really, really, REALLY appreciate that!! (Did I mention how much I appreciate that?)

Anyone else?? Anyone?? Please ...

My first was 2.5 when his baby brother was born. We spent a lot of time snuggling on the couch reading books while I was nursing. Low key activities like coloring, or even playing with Duplos on the floor worked wonders. Babywearing has been a huge help; being able to strap the baby on and then have both hands for the toddler is wonderful. But probably the biggest help is my husband. Whenever he is home, he was very willing to take one or the other of them. Baby needed to nurse? He'd take the toddler to the park. Toddler in desperate need of mama time? He'd run errands with the baby.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss