Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not hungry for "breakfast"

Default Not hungry for "breakfast"

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums. I'm in need for help. My baby (9 weeks) has started a behaviour that I think it is going to "damage" the milk production: he sleeps through the night (6 hours) and then only feeds a little. May be only one breast. Or both, but no longer than 5 or 6 minutes each. Whatever I do, I can't wake him up and convince him to drink some more. Ok, he's sleepy. The real problem comes around 3 hours later, where he would wake up, drink 4 minutes from only one breast and then although awake, he won't nurse any longer. And he won't even nurse those 4 minutes "effectively".

I'm afraid this will stop my milk production... What should I do? Pump? Not pump? After noon, he feeds regularly every 3 hours or so, long, sometimes more effective than others and from both breasts.

Thanks a million!!

Default Re: Not hungry for "breakfast"

Welcome to the forum!

In a 9 week-old baby, having some fast feedings in the mix is normal. Especially when the breast is very full, as it would be after baby sleeps through the night or takes a long nap. Because the breast is full, baby is getting a lot of milk in a hurry, and is probably bursting after just a few minutes of nursing. If you're concerned about intake, watch the baby's diaper output and weight gain. As long as those 2 things continue to be normal, there's no reason to worry. Just note that after 6 weeks, poop output sometimes slows to as little as one poop per week- though that single poop is likely to be a diaper-buster!

Allowing baby to sleep through the night is normally not a problem for production, as long as you are nursing on demand. Baby will make up for shortfalls in his nighttime intake by nursing more during the day, and if he needs more milk, he'll just start night-nursing again. (Don't get used to baby sleeping through- it is highly unlikely to last, especially once teething kicks in!) If you're concerned, you might want to consider taking away sleep-extending tools like swaddling and pacifiers, and sleeping in close proximity to your baby so that you can detect him stirring and nurse him if you desire to do so.

No need to pump- unless you're returning to work soon, in which case some pumping might be to your advantage. Is a return to the workplace part of your plan?

Also, how many times per day does baby nurse?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi! Thanks for the answer!

Normally he nurses every 3 hours, with a 5 or 6 hour break at night. The feedings are longer in the evenings and super, super short at night and breakfast. And he does so in a semi-drowsy state, with a lot of breaks and not sucking efficiently. That's why I'm concerned about my milk supply. He doesn't drink when my breasts are fuller (at 6 in the morning) and they are starting to feel softer every day.

Going back to work is not an issue, I'm in Germany and have an 8 month break

Thanks a million for your help!

So that means he's nursing just 6 times a day, am I right? If so, that's on the extremely low end for such a young baby, most of whom require at least 8 nursing sessions per day in order to get their needs met. I'd add in a couple of feedings.

Most moms start out making more milk than their babies need. That's nature's way of ensuring that the newborn baby gets enough to eat while mastering the art of breastfeeding. When a mom is making extra milk, she's going to feel full or engorged pretty often, and she may leak a lot and feel strong letdowns. Over time, however, most moms find that their supply adjusts so that they make exactly the right amount of milk, at which point it's normal to rarely if ever feel full or engorged, to leak less or not at all, and to feel less powerful letdown sensations or no letdown sensation at all. If the baby has been nursing on just one side, it's normal for him to start requiring both breasts at a feeding, and also for his feeding frequency to increase. This is a desirable state of affairs, since making extra milk is a waste of your body's energy and also puts you at increased risk for nasty things like plugged ducts and mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"