Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Make the Pain Stop

Default Make the Pain Stop

DS is 17 months old and appears to be teething. In the past, I have noticed that his latch tends to get bad when he is teething. It has always corrected itself after a couple of days.

Friday night, when I was nursing him, I knew his latch wasn't great, but it didn't seem too bad. But when I woke up Saturday morning, but left side was in bad shape. My whole breast hurt. The nipple hurt like he was actively biting me, and I had a plugged duct (possibly from his bad latch the night before?). Since I had the plugged duct, I tried to nurse him like normal on Saturday, even though it really hurt. And he did manage to clear the plugged duct. But my my left nipple still really hurts And it's constant pain. I feels like his teeth are clamped on it, even when I am not nursing him. I tried to not nurse him on that side today, but I was only partially successful. The pain doesn't seem to increase when he is nursing, but if he pulls back without un-latching or something, I scream.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to try? I put lanolin on it, but that didn't seem to do anything. I don't know if heat would help or cold? I won't nurse for most of tomorrow since I will be at work.

I do often get tender nipples at this point in my cycles, but my right side is perfectly fine, so I don't think that is an issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am willing to try anything!
    Thanks.

Default Re: Make the Pain Stop

Is there any change in the colour of the nipple? any blanching? I'm wondering if this could be vasospasm due to trauma. If that's the case, using heat usually helps with the pain. I used to use a sock filled with rice that had been warmed up in the microwave.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what it could be

Could it be a bleb or nipple blister? They often look like white dots on the surface of the nipple, or like very small cracks/holes after they burst.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Could it be a bleb or nipple blister? They often look like white dots on the surface of the nipple, or like very small cracks/holes after they burst.
    I don't think so. I don't see anything like that. Heat does help a little bit. (Chocolate seems to help too ) This evening, it only hurt while nursing, so hopefully that is a positive sign.