Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should I be nursing 10 month old?

Default How often should I be nursing 10 month old?

Hi,

I am currently nursing my son 4-5 times a day. Is that enough for a 10 month old boy? He is eating food 3 times a day.

Also, my son only nurses off of one breast. The milk does not come down fast enough on the other side, so he has bitten me a few times. Is there any down side to allowing him to just nurse on one side? Will my milk go away on that side? My only complaint is that I look a little larger on one the side? I can tolerate that.

Thank you,

Amy

Default Re: How often should I be nursing 10 month old?

That seems a bit low to me. Until a year, a baby's primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk, with solids "complementing" (the AAP's word choice, not mine) but not replacing breastmilk in the baby's diet. Most babies require at least 8 feedings per day in order to receive all their nutrition from breastmilk, so my thinking is that you want to aim for 8, or close to it, until the baby is 12 months. So if it were me, I'd try to add in a couple of feedings.

There are 2 downsides to nursing off one breast:
    - lopsidedness
    - not having a "spare" breast with which to feed baby, if the primary breast is unusable for some reason

Other than that, there's no real reason that you absolutely need to use both breasts at every feeding. The milk will probably not entirely vanish on the unused side until you are completely done nursing, but the supply on that side is likely to be minimal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 3 y.o. stopped nursing from my left breast at 1 yr. I have no idea why, but we weren't ready to wean so I spent the next yr with one big boobie . Once I weaned, I was even in just a few months. In hindsight, I would've pumped on that side but I didn't know I was going to go another year! I bfed 8x/day for 19 months and then weaned him down to a few x/day until I got pregnant again. I agree that 4-5x probably isn't enough and would offer more

Oh and I dried up on the unused side within a few months .