Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month visit

Default 4 month visit

Not again! My second child seems to be following in the footsteps of his underweight brother. At his last visit he was 24.25" and 12.10 lb (he was 7 lb at birth and gained 2 lb since his 2 month visit). To me, he looks plumper than his brother and others have commented the same. Anyway, my older child is still small (36", 28 lb) but I was underweight until high school and my husband is small, too. I feel like the consistent gains in height reflect healthy (albeit small) gains. Both had/have good appetites bfing and I don't believe I have supply issues (mostly b/c 3 y.o. is still small on solids and baby seems satisfied after eating, I have quick let down, milk leaks between and during feedings, and baby poops most every day (if he skips a day makes up for it the 2nd day), has consistently wet diapers, sleeps well, and is generally happy). I never supplemented with my preschooler and he has a good appetite. I just thought I was going to dodge a bullet with this one since he seems so plump. I also know ht is hard to measure and is usually less than actual which can make a difference in %ages. Maybe my milk is low fat (lol). Just looking for some reassurance, I guess .

Default Re: 4 month visit

There's no such thing as low fat human milk. And when it comes to weight gain, what matters is not the "type" of milk baby gets (i.e. low fat vs. high fat) but rather how much milk a baby takes in. A baby can grow and thrive on the lower-in-fat "foremilk" alone, provided he or she gets enough of it. And a baby who is being nursed on demand and is wetting/pooping normally- that's a baby who is getting plenty of milk!

If your other 2 kids are small and lean, and you and your husband have small/lean builds, it certainly points to there being a genetic explanation for your child's size.

How many times per day does baby nurse?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He nurses every 2-3 hrs in a 24 hr period. Sometimes he can go 4-5 hrs at night if he's swaddled or on his tummy but mostly he's on his back and wakes himself up and then I just nurse him.

So he's nursing at least 8x per day? If he's nursing at the lower end for frequency, it might not hurt to try boosting his intake by adding a couple of extra feedings per day, and by taking away sleep-extending tools like swaddling. It might increase his rate of weight gain, it might not- but at least it would be something to explain to the docs if you're getting hassled about your child's weight, as proof that you're being proactive. You could say "I have added in some extra feedings, and he's still a peanut..." Not that that is guaranteed to ward off criticism! A lot of docs have strange beliefs about breastfeeding, and you never know what sort of misinformation you're going to run across.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"