Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lump in my breast

Default Re: Lump in my breast

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gabygabs View Post
    Mainly the reason to create an schedule was to understand my baby's signs because I was getting confused and thought that everything meant hunger. And every time or mostly every time I place my LO to the breast she would suck on it, but sometimes was pacifying and I didn't know the difference.
    Sorry to keep harping on this, but this is another thing I just don't get. There is nothing wrong or unnatural about using the breast to pacify a baby because the breast is the original pacifier. Babies are designed to get their sucking needs met at the breast, not on a piece of silicone, right? And there's an instinctive reaction that most if not all nursing moms have, which is to put the baby to the breast when she fusses. It's good for milk supply, and it's usually the absolute easiest way to get a baby to go from cranky to quiet and happy. The way I see it, the LC encouraged you to ignore your instincts, and also made your life a lot more complicated! When your baby fusses, you're not supposed to go right to the easiest way of getting her happy again- you're supposed to try a whole host of other stuff that probably doesn't work for more than a short time. Am I right?

Ped said she was good. She said she is gaining weight on a normal range.
    This is great! I have to admit that weight gain is one of my big worries with scheduled babies. A lot of times, the schedule will work at first, in the early weeks/months when supply is naturally high. But as time goes on and the body "reads" the infrequent demand and translate that into lower supply, weight gain can really slack off.

Although I mention that I have to wake her up every day after the 8 hour feed because she wont wake up. That is the longest stretch and its during night. And she said that at this point I could let it go and see when she would wake up. First night she woke up after 9 hours, but today its been over 10 hours and she is still sleeping. I'm confused because they say "never wake a sleepy baby" but I don't know if this long stretch is ok. They also told me that eventually between the 2nd and 3rd month they could start going from 10 to 12 hrs of sleep. I understand every baby is different, but I want to know about healthy.
    If a baby is >6 weeks of age, is being fed on demand during the waking hours, and is gaining weight at a normal pace, it is perfectly safe to allow her to sleep through the night, even for crazy long stretches (e.g. 8-10 hours). It almost surely will not last, since most babies begin to wake at night again when teething starts (often as early as 3 months).

That being said, it is perfectly fine for you to proactively wake baby and feed her, especially if you are getting so engorged and uncomfortable that you can't sleep and you are resorting to the pump!!! If your baby is sleeping with a pacifier or is swaddled, taking away those sleep-extending tools may get her to wake spontaneously and relieve some of your discomfort.

One good reason to wake your baby to nurse at least 1x overnight is fertility. Once you're routinely going >6 hours without nursing, your prolactin levels will fall low enough for long enough that your estrogen levels will rebound, and that may trigger a fertile cycle. It means you need to be a lot more careful about birth control and it also means that one of the big side-benefits of breastfeeding, which is that many moms will not get their periods for months and months, may go away a lot sooner than you might like.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Now you are getting me confused and stressed. I don't keep an strict schedule of feeding. It's not like at a specific time I feed my baby. She happens to eat every 2 hours approx since she was born. Then a growth spurt came and got me all confused for a week where I literally didn't stand up from the "feeding chair" but to pee and if I was lucky take a shower. So then consult with the LC and basically told me that it was normal that my baby should of eat every 2-3 hours, this way I started to understand that my baby had other needs but eating. And ever since she keeps eating every 2 to 3 hours MAX. Sometimes even a little less that 2hrs but its rare. I feel that I don't keep my baby hungry otherwise she would cry or be fussy right? And the ped said she is gaining weight in a normal way. So I don't see what I'm doing wrong. "The schedule" was never an strict schedule, was more of a guide to see what frequency normal for a baby to eat. But of course every baby is different and I keep following her cues without losing my head or my life. This is my first baby so I think is normal to misread her and that's why I seek for help. But I've been working on it from day 1. And will keep working on it forever.

I'm sorry, mama. I really don't want you to feel stressed, especially because it sounds like everything is going JUST FINE. If you feel happy with the way things are going, that is okay. You are home with your baby, you know your baby best. I'm just a stranger on the internet who has never seen your baby!

Look, my major issue here is with the LC. I just don't like her advice. Telling you that a baby "should" eat every 2-3 hours... That's just 100% false. Yes, some babies do just fine with that sort of interval between feedings- but there are a lot of others who require more frequent feedings than that, and even a few who require less. The way I see it, moms should be encouraged to watch their babies, not the clock. If the baby is happy and healthy and gaining weight normally, then all is well. It's the situation where a mom is trying to soothe her fussy, cranky, seemingly hungry baby and is stressed and unsure what to do because it's not "time" to feed the baby yet... That's the situation that upsets me!

The fact that your schedule is flexible is wonderful. I think that as long as you stay responsive to your baby, and follow her cues even if it's not "time" for her to nurse, you're going to do just fine.

Really, I don't mean to scare or upset you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"