Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scalding with bottle warmer - bottles keep cracking!

Default Scalding with bottle warmer - bottles keep cracking!

I use the munchkin bottle warmer. I tried using the plastic bottles at first (medela and dr brown, but the temp did not go past 160. So I tried a relish jar from a suggestion on google, and it cracked after a few uses. Then I tried evenflo glass bottle, and it cracked after I put cold milk in. So I bought another evenflo, but this time it cracked after putting normal milk in. The crack rate is about 1/8. I am about to cry. Please help!

Default Re: Scalding with bottle warmer - bottles keep cracking!

Are you letting the scalded glass bottles cool completely before using them? And when you take them out of the bottle warmer, are you setting them on an insulated surface, or directly on a cool countertop? Temperature differences can cause cracking in heated glass because the surface of the object- in this case, a bottle- that is in contact with something cold (e.g. a countertop, cold or cool milk) will cool and shrink faster than the part of the object that is in contact with the air.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

They've always cracked during heating, in the bottle warmer. Then I lose all the milk. I take the glass bottle (stored in a wooden cabinet) and pour body-temp milk into it.

I want to add that I've always cooled in a plastic bottle after scalding.