Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: This article goes against every benefit ....I'm speechless!

Default This article goes against every benefit ....I'm speechless!

This article goes against everything good we have been educated regarding breastfeeding! I was simply searching Google for any evidence-based articles that supports breastfeeding reducing childhood cancer, and this article appeared in the search results. I clicked on it, read it, and now do not know what to think about it. I am aware that certain toxins are released via breast milk, which are stored in the body's fat cells (this is why we are not supposed to go on a detox diet or lose weight really fast, because the toxins are released into breast milk). Financially, I cannot afford to eat organically grown food right now (living paycheck to paycheck while in nursing school) and this is really scary, if it has any validity at all. What do you ladies think about it?

http://www.pollutionaction.org/breas...and-cancer.htm

Default Re: This article goes against every benefit ....I'm speechle

Given that the website is essentially one guy with no scientific background asserting that breastfeeding causes autism, cancer, childhood obesity, diabetes, ADHD, asthma, allergies, and SIDS, I'm skeptical.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Given that the website is essentially one guy with no scientific background asserting that breastfeeding causes autism, cancer, childhood obesity, diabetes, ADHD, asthma, allergies, and SIDS, I'm skeptical.
    x 1000!

You know that old New Yorker cartoon, the one where the two dogs are sitting in front of the computer, and one says "On the internet, no-one knows you're a dog"? Well, the internet is full of dogs- in this case, a nutjob posing as a scientific authority. Ignore!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My nephew never had a single milligram of breast milk, yet has severe autism. I too doubt a website without a single reputable reference. It all links back to that breastfeeding toxins.info page which is just one page with the same article essentially. You have to remember they used to blame ice cream for polio because rates were higher in summer. My phone is dying so I can't check all the epa links cited. Find us a credible link about higher toxins in breast milk than formula. I'd like to continue discussing that possibility.

You know, I was going to illustrate the uselessness of those types of correlations by finding a graph showing how the rise in autism diagnoses corresponds perfectly with increase in internet use, and so obviously web surfing causes autism.

But apparently someone has made that claim and they weren't even joking.

So I guess I'll have to go with this graph that shows the correlation between autism and organic foods. (Click to enlarge, but I think you can get the idea without seeing the details. )

autism_organic_food.jpg
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Agree with everything above. If you link back to the main website (pollutionaction.org) and read the "About Pollution Action" description mid-way down, it says (I'm quoting my favorite parts):

"This organization consists to a great extent of one person, me (Don Meulenberg)... I am not a scientist, but my education included challenging biology and chemistry courses, in which I did well .... I received scores in the top 1% on standardized tests when in high school, hold a B.A. cum laude from Oberlin College, and stood in the top third of my class during a year at Harvard's Graduate School of Business Administration." He closes by saying that his work included "drawing on insightful comments and suggestions from various acquaintances, employees and friends, including parents from three separate families each with at least one boy and one girl."

Impressive qualifications, no? And what a rigorous methodology!

Show me a peer-reviewed study in a reputable journal and then we can talk about autism causes. I'm so tired of all the predatory junk science.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    I'm so tired of all the predatory junk science.
    Amen!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"