Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When hunger cues go!!

Default When hunger cues go!!

Hi ladies,

My 19.5 week old is constantly sucking his hands or anything else and honestly I don't know anymore when he is hungry so I just offer him the breast when I think he should be eating!?! So this is interfering with feed on demand as I feel I am the one demanding lol!! Is this a phase or is this what happens when babies start to get older?

Cx

Default Re: When hunger cues go!!

The reliable newborn hunger cues- rooting, hand-sucking, mouthing- generally disappear within a few months. Once those innate, instinctive cues diminish, you can either wait for your baby to give you super-obvious cues like crying, or you can offer the breast whenever you think baby may be hungry. The latter approach is preferable, since you are probably very capable of subconsciously picking up on your baby's subtler hunger cues, like increased fussiness, long before they turn into crying, which is a late cue for most babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If baby isn't hungry, he won't eat. So never hurts to just offer!

cue-feeding can be on mom's cue OR baby's cue! in any case offering won't hurt anything, as PPs say.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I experienced the same thing! "What are you trying to tell me, child?!" And now that my DS is teething like mad, his hands are constantly in his mouth. However, based on his previous cues he was eating every 2-3 hours (usually every 2 hours during the day if he sleeps through the night or every 3 hours if he gets up a few times to eat at night), so I make sure to offer the breast in that timeframe.

When that happened with us I watched for fussiness or watched the clock to offer every 2 hours, whichever came first.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.