Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unsure what to think/do

Default unsure what to think/do

Hi, so my 3 month old has been nursing like a champ since day one... he's my first so this question may be something that all baby's do at some point and I'm just over paranoid or something...

My lil guy has been latching for about 5 seconds then UN latching... this has been going on for the past few days... he does the repeated latching for 10 min or so fuses and then finally actually eats.. at first I thought this might be gas when it was one day.. but now we're on day 3 and his night time feedings are the worst since we co-sleep and he does the above even in the middle of the night. Making me fully awake around 3 am... the only thing that had really changed is that I started walking every day.... nothing else has changed. I know I'm not engorged so milk isn't coming out too fast.

Can exercising cause this? Also do you have any ideas on what to do to make him stop repeatedly latching?
    Thank you for your help!
    Ang

Default Re: unsure what to think/do

This could be teething, could be an ear infection, or could just be a little quirk your baby has picked up. As long as he continues to wet enough diapers, and doesn't seem sick, I wouldn't worry. I'd just treat this with patience, and hope that it eventually goes away. It might not hurt to take your LO in to the pediatrician, though, and have someone take a peek at his ears.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

in my experience, what I call the "latch on/latch off" is normal.

Especially if you had a fast flow before, I think this may have to do with baby trying to get a faster milk flow, but that is not necessarily a problem-Your milk production and thus, letdown, would NORMALLY level off or 'slow down' at around this age whether you exercised or not, so if it does have to do with a slower milk flow, it's probably just a normal blip. You can try hand expressing to help get the flow going but I doubt that is needed- if baby settles eventually and nurses I would not worry overmuch about it.

If you are exercising to exhaustion or not hydrating or eating enough, that may cause problems. Otherwise, it is fine to exercise when nursing. Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    in my experience, what I call the "latch on/latch off" is normal.

Especially if you had a fast flow before, I think this may have to do with baby trying to get a faster milk flow, but that is not necessarily a problem-Your milk production and thus, letdown, would NORMALLY level off or 'slow down' at around this age whether you exercised or not, so if it does have to do with a slower milk flow, it's probably just a normal blip. You can try hand expressing to help get the flow going but I doubt that is needed- if baby settles eventually and nurses I would not worry overmuch about it.

If you are exercising to exhaustion or not hydrating or eating enough, that may cause problems. Otherwise, it is fine to exercise when nursing. Good for you!
    Thank you for the advice! I feel much better I'm just a worry wort.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This could be teething, could be an ear infection, or could just be a little quirk your baby has picked up. As long as he continues to wet enough diapers, and doesn't seem sick, I wouldn't worry. I'd just treat this with patience, and hope that it eventually goes away. It might not hurt to take your LO in to the pediatrician, though, and have someone take a peek at his ears.
    Thanks.. if it keeps up..I take him to see the pediatrician.