Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 wo need multivit for breastfeed bby?

Talking 6 wo need multivit for breastfeed bby?

i've read articles like kellymom about vits and newborn.even a friend of mine told me that my EBF baby doesn't need any multivits since she's getting all needed nutrients from my milk but i got Tiki tiki from friends as gifts for my LO.do i have to give it to her?
    pls post some advice.thanks

Default Re: 6 wo need multivit for breastfeed bby?

I don't know what Tiki Tiki is but here's what I do know about vitamins.

Pretty much the only vitamin that is often recommended for breastfed babies is Vitamin D, and even that is debatable:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/

After 6 months, iron is something that a lot of moms are told they need to supplement -- again, this is not a hard and fast requirement:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

Now I'm not a medical professional, but I did research this a bit for my own baby, and I don't know of a reason why a healthy full term 6 wk old, who is fully breastfed, and doesn't have any of the risk factors listed in those articles, would need any vitamin supplementation. However if I'm wrong about that I hope other mamas will chime in with additional info.

(For what it's worth, personally we didn't give our son any vitamins -- he had outside time in moderation every day. We didn't give him iron either, and he didn't have any interest in solids until 11-12 months, but when his iron levels were tested at 1 yr they were fine.)

Just from my own personal experience, I found it to upset their stomachs. My son was born 4 weeks early and they insisted I give some to him; I put up with it in the hospital but I noticed he spit up more and his stomach was rumbly and it caused constant bowel movements that STUNK too. Soon as we were out of "prison" we quit it. I always thought breast milk was perfectly good for babies... I don't see the need, personally, for it. But someone else could probably give more experience on the need of it nutritionally or not. Just wanted to point out some of the potential drawbacks of it.

If you do decide to supplement with Vitamin D, you can find D only supplements available in a single drop infant dose.

We use carlsons vit D drops. We got it from amazon. I used it (on most days) on my DS1 who is 2 and my DS2 who just turned 6 months. I said most days bc I do tend to forget sometimes.

I found the kind the doc recommended (emfamil poly "something" just smell terrible and had other stuff that wasn't needed.

HTH!

I did and am giving dd vitamin d and iron , vitamin d daily iron 4 days a week . She was born low birth weight, she showed poor interest in solids till a year but had borderline low hemoglobin and vitamin d levels. Since I had bleeding during pregnancy and was on medications that reduced my calcium levels she needed them I gave her iron just 4 days a week because she did not tolerate it well . Diet did improve her iron levels but it was a stress for me since we r vegetarians the sources are low and she also had low weight gain so I went ahead with the drops. Also here in India a lot of mothers are deficient in iron and vitamin d even the affluent ones so routine multivitamin supplementation is advised even for breast fed infants.

thank u for giving some time to post here.it really help me a lot to decide not to give multi vits to my LO.you are right guys, she only need vit D since she got yellowish after birth due to high amount of bilirubin. we are just exposing her to sunlight and gradually diminish after few weeks.