Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many calories is my 17 month old getting from BM?

Default How many calories is my 17 month old getting from BM?

I'm trying to prepare myself a bit for my little boy's 18 month check up. He's off the growth curve in both height and weight, but has grown 1/2" and about 3oz since his 12 month check (there is growth, but not a lot).

17lbs 3oz and 28.25" currently (17 months).

I'd like to know how many calories he is getting from breast milk and food. I tried using google and I could only learn how many calories I "burn" from breastfeeding. I don't care about that stuff.

Kevin nurses 3 set times per day (times we never miss) but it is not always limited to that. I work, so he never nurses on weekdays, but on weekends we add extra sessions and sometimes he wakes up in the night to nurse.

He won't drink cows milk. I don't worry about it now since he still gets lots of breast milk and I know he doesn't NEED it (heck, I was vegan for 7 years), but I would still one day like to introduce it back into his diet...I'm just not sure how. I offer, but he has no interest. He doesn't ever get EBM anymore either (we cut out bottles at daycare when he was 13 months old).

He EATS very very well, I don't think that's the problem. I don't actually believe there is a problem, but I get a lot of anxiety taking him for weigh-ins and wellness checks just because of how little is he. I just want to be prepared and be able to say "he gets X amount of calories from BM and X amount from food and I FEED HIM ENOUGH, I SWEAR!!"

He doesn't look skinny or malnourished at all, but he looks MUCH younger than he actually is (still doesn't have a lot of hair which doesn't help).

Default Re: How many calories is my 17 month old getting from BM?

His diaper output is normal. His bowl movements are regular and not diarrhea or overly smelly compared to other kids at daycare.
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

It depends on how much breastmilk your child is drinking. But breastmilk typically has more calories 'ounce per ounce" than most foods, if that is what you are asking.
    Kellymom has two comparison lists. Human milk compared to other milks: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories/ and

Human milk compared to other typical baby/toddler foods: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...yfoodcalories/

I strongly suggest the book My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez. It is not about how to make your child eat more. Rather it explains clearly and rationally why varying weights, growth rates, and eating habits in young children are usualy entirely normal and fine.

This link covers the fat and calorie content of various milks (including human): http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories/

How many calories your LO gets from your milk depends on how much he's drinking at one go. And there's no way to determine that precisely without weighing your LO before and after nursing, using a scale that is accurate to the 1/10th of an oz. You'd want to do it several times, and take an average, since intake can vary widely between feedings. Alternately, you could try pumping and see what you get, but that's not a good measure because the amount you pump varies based on time of day, your responsiveness to pumping, when you last nursed or pumped, etc. Even moms with great supplies will sometimes get very little at the pump.

I know it's very stressful having a small kid. I'm watching one of my IRL friends go through that right ow, with her tiny 10 month old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you both so much!!

I'm thinking I'll just "guess" 3oz per feeding (which is about what I got from pumping when I still pumped, and I can't imagine he'd get much less than that). My son is obsessed with his "nursies" - so on the low end he'd probably get 200cals per day from it.

I'll check out that book! It definitely doesn't have to be exact calculating, but if I could get a rough idea of how much he is consuming per day, and I can walk in feeling educated and in charge, I'll feel a lot better.

Thanks again!

For estimating BM volume roughly...

Measure how much liquid your LO drinks from other fluid sources in a day. Weigh diapers for total fluid output. Urine output represents approximately half of dietary fluid intake (http://www.anaesthesiamcq.com/FluidBook/fl3_1.php).

So, with random made up #s, if your DC consumes 400mL of non-BM liquids and has 800mL of urine output daily, then there was ~1,600mL of total intake, 1,200mL of which was from BM and solids. Maybe 20% of this was hydration from foods. This way you can collect diapers and weigh them once at the end of the day. Saves you wondering if you caught every feeding, including the pop-on-pop-off ones toddlers love.

Obviously this is an approximation because it doesn't account for food hydration well.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; August 21st, 2013 at 12:43 PM.