Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did my milk go?

Default Re: Where did my milk go?

And now she's just biting me every time I try to nurse her.

This is so devastating. I don't know what else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gigi2961 View Post
    And now she's just biting me every time I try to nurse her.

This is so devastating. I don't know what else to do.
    Okay, here's my take on this: if she's biting you, then that means she does not want to nurse for whatever reason (in my opinion). So, it sounds like you've got a strike going on. However, it doesn't sound like a complete strike since she's still nursing. This strike could also be just a few days of being extra interested in the brand new world of being mobile. Or maybe something else? Have you ruled out sickness? I agree that 4 sessions seems low, but not impossible. How much is she eating for solids if you had to guess?

My guess is it's either teething or something else. What happened initially when she was a newborn? Did you have over supply? Did your supply seem to change abruptly?

When my 8 month old was a newborn she only nursed 7-8 times per day. Never more than that. Now she nurses anywhere from 8-14 times per day. There is less milk and she has to work harder to get it, since it doesn't just spray everywhere like before. This did cause a bit of a strike for us, the change from loads of milk to just enough milk. I have also noticed breast refusal when she's teething. I can tell, because she starts biting a bit, and she never does that unless she is frustrated with nursing. For us, it seems like nursing causes irritation when teething. I think her top ones just came through and she was really not in the mood to nurse for a few days.

Even if things stay like this for a few months, she may go right back to nursing after she starts walking. I wouldn't give up, and please do whatever you can for yourself. If you need extra support, maybe ask your partner to take a few days off just so they can be there for you? I've done that before in times of breastfeeding crisis! Have you heard of the "Wonder Weeks"? Those can cause both strikes and a need for constant nursing.

My baby has been very fickle about nursing too, she is at the same stage physically as yours is. Today it was all about nursing, a few days ago she wanted nothing to do with it, and she takes almost no solids, no bottle, no sippy.

I know it's hard, but if the stress is really getting to you there needs to be a way for you to let it out. My baby can totally sense when I'm upset. How about for tomorrow you just let go of worry for one day (assuming baby is happy of course, and not ill and also if she is still nursing those 4 times). Then after that day see how you both are doing? I notice a definite correspondence with my baby's mood and mine. The more carefree I am, even when it seems like there is no way she doesn't need to nurse (but still refuses), the more she seems interested in coming back to nursing more often.

If she stops nursing all together I think I would first take her to the Dr. even if she seems fine. Explain your concern to the Dr. Then go from there with offering other fluids.

Hang in there!!
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; August 22nd, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
    and Mama to two little girls

also, the biting and complete refusal from a baby likes yours, who has never known anything else but breast seems like she's trying to tell you something is wrong. Just my opinion, but that's how I would interpret it if my baby flat out refused to nurse for an entire day, seeing that her diet is 99% breastmilk from the breast.

Ahhh, katieperry, we have very similar babies!

Even as a newborn she only nursed 6-8 times a day. I feel like I've been worried about her nursing "enough" for her whole life.

I do think I had oversupply (thus so many plugged ducts) so the milk was always right THERE and SO easy for her.
    Now that she's on the move, why would she have patience for nursing that turns out to be SLOWER and milk that's HARDER to get?! I can't say I blame her...

>>>When your baby has a day when she's really not into it, do you pump??? Or do you just wait for her to come back to the breast?

The only thing I think she's doing differently from the situation you describe is she IS eating solids. But she's also older by 2 months so I think it's ok if she is displacing some milk with solids... just not ALL. She eats finger foods like cut-up fruit, veg, shredded chicken, cubes of cheese, etc. and I just let her eat as much as she wants. Maybe she eats a 1/4 c. of food three times a day. It's so hard to tell. But she enjoys it now. At 8 months she didn't like solids at ALL so your baby will probably come around by 10 months too as they seem similarly tempered.

And yes, if you can sense my stress over the internet I'm sure she can too!

Ahhh, katieperry, we have very similar babies!

Even as a newborn she only nursed 6-8 times a day. I feel like I've been worried about her nursing "enough" for her whole life.

I do think I had oversupply (thus so many plugged ducts) so the milk was always right THERE and SO easy for her.
    Now that she's on the move, why would she have patience for nursing that turns out to be SLOWER and milk that's HARDER to get?! I can't say I blame her...

>>>When your baby has a day when she's really not into it, do you pump??? Or do you just wait for her to come back to the breast?

The only thing I think she's doing differently from the situation you describe is she IS eating solids. But she's also older by 2 months so I think it's ok if she is displacing some milk with solids... just not ALL. She eats finger foods like cut-up fruit, veg, shredded chicken, cubes of cheese, etc. and I just let her eat as much as she wants. Maybe she eats a 1/4 c. of food three times a day. It's so hard to tell. But she enjoys it now. At 8 months she didn't like solids at ALL so your baby will probably come around by 10 months too as they seem similarly tempered.

And yes, if you can sense my stress over the internet I'm sure she can too!
    When she's not into it, I just wait. I don't pump, but I would if I felt engorged, definitely. I've had mastitis twice, and I never want that again!!

So on a day when she refused most feedings, usually I can manage to get her to nurse about 4 times during the day. However we cosleep and she does eat at night. Those day time feedings would be short if she was having an off day. I don't pump, because of several things:

1. I don't have time! I have a 3 year old, dinners to make, chores, outings, errands, nap times, a million things to do. My baby is a big girl...as in not small. Not that weight is an indicator of anything really, but it's clear to me that she knows how to nurse in order to grow, since she's growing like a weed. Your baby is also a bigger baby, I think I remember you wrote that? Mine is also 90th for weight and off the charts for height. Anyway, if she doesn't eat and I offer, and she's not sick, I feel like there's really nothing I can do. I have to have faith that she'll come back. I mean, she sort of has to, biologically! I'm the fluids and for now the meals.

2. I hate pumping!!! I exclusively pumped with my oldest for awhile, and I HATE IT. Not happening. It's not for me, and I don't even pump for an occasional bottle. It's just not something I'm willing to do, and I knew that going in, since I had a terrible first experience. So far, in spite of her ever changing nature, my supply is fine, even borderlines over supply at times.

Now if I was in your situation, getting 4 sessions a day and my baby was eating 3 meals per day (sounds like yours is eating 3 good sized meals), I think I would just have to trust that it would be enough as long as she seemed happy, growing well, and had regular diapers. Sounds like yours really does...5 wets isn't bad in my opinion. As I recall, 4 sessions per day for a baby over 1 meets the dairy requirement. You are almost there, a few more months. You could always back off a bit with the solids, that may help. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

Remember, not many people make it to where you/we are, so for you for making it through so much. Believe me, I know how hard it is! We didn't have a surgery which I'm sure was very tough, but we had loads of issues that we overcame. Nursing is a relationship. It's not all on you, your baby has to be the one to feed...as we all know, no matter what anyone says about kids who wean at like age 5 and it being the mom pushing the nursing, you can't force a baby to nurse!! I've tried

I am so thankful that I found this post. My son is nearly 9 months and like yours and karrieperry's little one, he is into EVERYTHING (crawling, climbing, standing) except nursing. I've also experienced the major production slowdown and the paranoia that comes along with it. I've gone from pumping 4-6 ounces every three hours to 2-4 ounces with major effort involved. My husband must receive at least one panicked text message per day about how I am positive I am not pumping enough. I've tried fenugreek, oatmeal, the occasional beer, and extra water. My breasts are still floppy, there is no increased output and I am worried that my little man is starving. He is also not really a complainer; if he is hungry, I wouldn't really know until he is offered a breast. I also have the compounding worry that DS is 17.5lbs, which puts him in about the 5th% for weight. He's healthy and meeting all milestones, but I feel like he needs the calories and the lack of milk and the lack of interest in nursing makes me very nervous for our 9 month physical. I guess the bottom line is that your not alone in your concerns and your stress and knowing that I am not alone gives me encouragement.

Thanks ladies, it really does help to know I'm not the only one.

I get stuck in a loop of worry when it's just me and LO and I feel so much better (though not for your sakes!) knowing others are struggling to make heads or tails of these challenges.
    I guess one good thing is we all have babies who have proven already to have independent thought and decision making ability!

I am going to try to do what karrieperry suggested and let go of the worry tomorrow and see what happens... fingers crossed...

This forum is a lifesaver. Truly.

Hi
    Just wanted to say that dd was a very reluctant nursed from 4 months till a year she even went on a complete strike for 20 days once. She never demanded a Feed always thought she would wean by 9 months . But she changed her interest went up after 11 months now at 15 months she enjoys her nursing sessions .what made a difference was me getting less stressed and her ability to communicate. At 11 months she had her own name - nanama for nursing and now she specifies it. U never know how they change so hang in there. Also I noticed a thing they never like to eat or nurse when in midst of playtime they hate it when instead of play we make them feed so u will have to offer accordingly, also I let her play with my breast I used to squirt milk in her mouth then she would try the same, I try to shift my focus from nutrition to nursing being a fun thing we did together.
    Last edited by @llli*lllsmum; August 23rd, 2013 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*connectikate View Post
    I am so thankful that I found this post. My son is nearly 9 months and like yours and karrieperry's little one, he is into EVERYTHING (crawling, climbing, standing) except nursing. I've also experienced the major production slowdown and the paranoia that comes along with it. I've gone from pumping 4-6 ounces every three hours to 2-4 ounces with major effort involved. My husband must receive at least one panicked text message per day about how I am positive I am not pumping enough. I've tried fenugreek, oatmeal, the occasional beer, and extra water. My breasts are still floppy, there is no increased output and I am worried that my little man is starving. He is also not really a complainer; if he is hungry, I wouldn't really know until he is offered a breast. I also have the compounding worry that DS is 17.5lbs, which puts him in about the 5th% for weight. He's healthy and meeting all milestones, but I feel like he needs the calories and the lack of milk and the lack of interest in nursing makes me very nervous for our 9 month physical. I guess the bottom line is that your not alone in your concerns and your stress and knowing that I am not alone gives me encouragement.
    I know gigi2961's and my babies are larger, but that doesn't mean yours isn't just the right size at 17.5lbs! If yours isn't complaining, I would take that to mean he is happy. If you saw some huge drop in growth percentile, like 90th to say, 10th, then yes I would worry a bit. But if he's always been smaller consistently that sounds just fine. My baby isn't a complainer either, but she has freaked when she was hungry before. Only a few times, but she has. And also, mine will scream her little heart out if she's over tired, so again, I know she can cry if she wants to.

I'm so glad we all got to talking, we all have very similar babies. connectikate, it stinks that you have to pump...I know how disconcerting it can be when you are seeing your milk measured and constantly wondering if it's enough. Hopefully in a few months we will all see that change that lllsmum talked about. I think once that milestone of walking is accomplished baby will need a break from constantly exploring. At least, I hope!

And cheers to a worry free day! I hope it goes well, you deserve it!!

Thanks ladies, it really does help to know I'm not the only one.

I get stuck in a loop of worry when it's just me and LO and I feel so much better (though not for your sakes!) knowing others are struggling to make heads or tails of these challenges.
    I guess one good thing is we all have babies who have proven already to have independent thought and decision making ability!

I am going to try to do what karrieperry suggested and let go of the worry tomorrow and see what happens... fingers crossed...

This forum is a lifesaver. Truly.