Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 wo still not latching. Now what?

Default 7 wo still not latching. Now what?

My 7 wo DD has is still not latching! She will go to the breast and chomp on my nipples, but does not transfer any milk. I do have very large nipples, which seem to be a problem for her. She also does not open her mouth very wide, even when crying. She had a tongue release two weeks ago, but I am not seeing any improvement. We have been working with a very experienced lc as well as a ped who specializes in bf issues. No luck! I really am not sure how to help her. Any ideas out there? Anyone had these issues? Thank you!

Default Re: 7 wo still not latching. Now what?

Nipple shield? lactation aid? suck training with a pacifer or finger? I am not sure what you & your helpers have tried.

Could you possibly ask to borrow your IBCLC's copy of Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfeding Infants? Maybe you will find somethign there your IBCLC has not thought of or that you could try again.

Finger feeding to breast video http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ame=vid-notyet

Inserting lactation aid video http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...me=vid-lactaid

More on lactation aids: http://cwgenna.com/smartnothard.html

Have you tried laid back breastfeeding? Get lo, lean back and put her tummy to tummy. Her head will bounce up and down as she tries to find your nipple... guide her to your nipple and she should open really wide to breastfeed. (I heard skin-to-skin also advocates successful breastfeeding.) Formula has only been in existence for less than a century, right? So if any of your ancestors have nipples like yours and you're here, chances are that you can breastfeed successfully. Check out the vid here: breastcrawl.org. Besides being a great resource, the lady has pretty large sized nipples and the baby latched fine.

Also, I really advocate the laid back/breast crawl. When I was supplementing my daughter heavily with a bottle she stopped accepting the breast, and the laid back bf used her instincts to get her back to the breast.

Edit: Also, was there any trauma during birth? I've heard that can cause difficulty opening the jaw. Have you tried massaging the jaw? I've heard chiropractors mentioned before for latch issues, and one adjustment did wonders for them...
    Last edited by @llli*forecastofrain; August 20th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
    - June 1, 2013

So far, we have gone from nipple shield to accepting the breast. Did SNS to get her on the nipple shield. Today DD transferred about .7 ounces at support group - her best so far. We have tried laid back bf from the beginning, but again, DD not opening her mouth wide enough. She definitely shows interest in being at the breast, however, and does not resist trying to bf even though she hardly transfers anything. No birth trauma, but she did have an extended jaundice/anemia episode resulting in 2 weeks under bili lights. She was super sleepy throughout and difficult to interest in bf.

The consensus from her lcs and ped/lc is that she most likely needs to grow a bit more to get her mouth more able to match my nipple size. I do read about moms who go though this stuff and get their babies to finally latch at 2 or 3 months old, right? Yes, I totally agree with the comment about formula/ancestors. I tell myself this all the time! It was either sink or swim back then! (Then again, not so many babies survived, and I wonder about how bf issues related to that - but that's a tangent.)

Will look into the sucking skills info - thanks!