Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Occasional night weaning behavior

Default Occasional night weaning behavior

Hi there,
    A little background: I work full time and bed share. My DS, 10.5 months old, has been going through a little teething in weeks prior where his sleep was really fitful and he constantly nursed all night (so fun for me). However, last 4 or 5 nights he has been doing much better, as that 7th tooth is now in (yay!). Last night he went for 7 hours though without any nursing at all. I put him down at 8p and he and I woke simultaneously at 3a. Then of course this morning I've been starting to have that old familiar feeling - menstrual cramps. I have not had a period yet, I bled forever post partum, about 12 weeks, and I really don't want this to start up right now as we are about to embark on a week trip across the country to visit relatives. I know that when periods return supply often dips. Has anyone found something different to be the case for them? On our trip he will be having no bottles - I'm not even taking that blasted pump. Last trip we went on where we were together 24/7 was around 5.5 months. He was so fussy all the time and it made me wonder if my supply had dipped then, but then again it could have been just being in unfamiliar territory. If I nurse and pump as usual today, could I possibly reverse the start of my period? I know I'm asking like this is an exact science, when it doesn't seem like it is. Plenty of women bleed and lactate, just not me and I think I'm not looking forward to it. The other issue which I posted about in another thread is that he is still so distractible and nursing in the mornings is a wrestling match, which doesn't help with supply either. This morning I resorted to nursing with the Ergo carrier on and it seemed to do the trick, just like I do when I get home from work, go for a walk and reunite and nurse.

Default Re: Occasional night weaning behavior

You put your finger on it when you said that this isn't an exact science. It's possible that you could chase your period away by putting extra effort into nursing and pumping, and waking your baby if he sleeps for a long stretch at night. But there are no guarantees and I can't even guess at a percentage on your chances of success. The only thing I can say is "try it and see what happens".

I hope you get lucky!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal! And I guess I shouldn't worry so much at this point about a temporary supply dip since he can then nurse more, eat more, and he's older so it's not really a "make or break" situation at this point. Where many working women anecdotally report to me their supply takes a mysterious permanent dip around this time, mine seems to have stayed steady and I'm even overproducing a bit when pumping which I use to add to his cereals. So perhaps I'm overthinking?

Overthinking? No. Maybe just borrowing a bit of trouble...

A lot of moms do go through a "pump slump" in the 8-10 month window, and the slump often coincides with the return of fertility. If you do have a slump, there are fixes for it- pumping more, nursing more, rehabbing your pump if it has worn down. I think the slump is sometimes permanent because women aren't willing or don't know that they have to put in a lot of extra effort in order to counter it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a slight dip in production monthly and I have found that if I up my pumping about 2 days before that happens and can create a upswing in supply so my dip really just takes me back to normal. My period returned in September when my daughter was 7 months. I had a dip in supply and it came right back. In October and November, two days before my period I added in 2 1/2 pump sessions through the first day of my period and that worked wonders. I usually pump in the morning after my daughter nurses and twice at work. I added in 1/2 a pumping session before she woke up, a full session on the drive home or as soon as I got home after she nursed and at night before I went to sleep. I didn't get more than ounce per session but the extra stimulation for three days helped with supply. My period still happens but the dip is not as noticeable this way. I dont know if you will have time to do this but it did work for me.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in