Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

yay!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

56 cc is 2 ounces - that's great! Glad you were able to get some in-person support.

Thank you. Wow, after being such an emotional sleep deprived mess (last night was exceptionally bad) I made the decision I just have to pump less. It's driving me crazy. I met with my LC today and she said let's try straight triple feeding, nurse baby, supplement at breast with tube or give bottle, then pump. Not this pumping hourly junk I've been doing. And during the night since they're not terribly close to getting it, let DH bottle feed and I will pump. OK, so I have done this since 10 a.m. when I met with her now pumping, only fed one baby this very last time just because it's so late and I want to go to bed and DH is here anyway. Well, the tube is way easier to get into my little guy's mouth. Even for the LC, it was really hard to get it into big boy's mouth. Something about how he latches or something. But anyway, this last time, he got 52 right from me and I've been putting an ounce into the tube bottle so he got a very good feeding, sans bottles. I'm so excited to be phasing out bottles even if it's not around the clock. Also my LC thinks the stimulation should help my supply. I hope so. Anyway, I'm still really tired. I've been going at this for 6 weeks and something has to give. I want to be a healthy nice mommy and wife and I am too exhausted for that right now. Anyway, I wish the boys were getting the hang of this better and faster but we are making little bits of progress and they're growing. I need them to keep growing so maybe latching onto my large nipples will be easier, suggested my LC.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

sounds like you're feeling some relief from this new plan. i support anything that moves you in that direction!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Sounds like progress! And yeah, I don't think pumping hourly while nursing twins and taking care of DD is sustainable over the long run. Hopefully twinsincity will jump back in, but I think I remember from one of her posts that at night she does exactly what you are proposing - she pumps, DH feeds. I think at night efficiency is the goal so everyone can get at least SOME sleep. Then work on having the babies on the breast during the day.

Well if they ever get the hang of nursing I totally don't mind night nursing in bed. But when I'm already having to pump it's just too much. I did everything I could and now it's time just to try to worry less and accept human limitations, I think. Still tired but I think twins are going to be tiring even if they nurse perfectly.

[QUOTE=@llli*krystine;1322184 I did everything I could and now it's time just to try to worry less and accept human limitations, I think. [/QUOTE]

!

Hi. Yes,bfwmomof3 is right. When we had overnight feedings I would pump and dh would feed expressed milk from bottles. We don't have overnights anymore but I still do a 3:30am pump as I always get a lot at that time.

And what I did was breastfeed and then pump after each feeding. One baby has almost always had expressed milk in a bottle and I've had enough by pumping after feeding. It also helps your supply go up. At least it did for me.

Try and take it easy. You have to sleep to get your supply up too!!!

I can't believe this, but out of nowhere we hit a huge growth spurt. I thought we had one earlier this week but they have jumped from 2-2.5/oz feeding to 3 oz. I'm over 10 oz behind for the day and 4 days ago I was more or less breaking even other than when my in laws were stressing me out. Now the last 4 days I've been 1 oz, 1.5 oz, 4 oz behind and now 10 today (on my last pumping now and the boys are getting bottles from DH as I pump). How do I ever survive this? I know it's good they're growing and my LC thinks as they get bigger they'll be able to nurse more effectively. She thinks a big part is my large nipples bc they're not getting much of my areola in their mouths when they nurse so I guess I could say how wonderful is this, but it freaks me out. I'm getting more donor milk this weekend so hopefully we can hold off on formula a little bit longer but this is really stressful.

That does sound stressful, although also good that they are growing. How much are they getting at the breast right now? How is latching? Are you able to put them to the breast more? If you can use the growth spurt to your advantage to do some more nursing and boost supply that way, that seems like it will be easier than trying to pump more, but of course it depends on how they are doing with the nursing right now. Also, remember that the growth spurt won't go on forever! So hopefully you will be able to catch up again in the next couple of days.