Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

5 weeks post partum - this recovery has been way harder, I had 6 weeks of bed rest prior and then an emergency c-section. I just bought this bra, too because it was the only one I could find supportive enough and unfortunately supportive sometimes seems like it has to be tight, too. (my bras from my previous pregnancy and post partum and all the breastfeeding I did is much, much too small now. I guess nursing twins will do that to a woman).

So you think I should be able to run again if we get latching etc figured out? I don't feel achy and horrible this evening yet but last time I just chilled during the night and thought maybe it was hormones or something.

I worked so hard to avoid formula with DD, I mean, crazy hard but I almost wonder if it was all worth it. I mean, I know nursing is worth it and our relationship and her health but would 1-2 oz of formula a day or less really have ruined everything?

Last night I re-set my alarm for an hr later in my sleep and the next time turned it off and fell back to sleep and just woke up when the babies woke up and I felt badly because they went about 4 hrs but my LC said I need my sleep and 3-4 hrs during the night is OK. I've been pumping like crazy today, I'm working on time # 11 right now at 6:30 but I don't know what else to do. I'm at a deficit for the day, too and they're both starting to eat more.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

i mean, if your bra or running itself is going to be ok in the future ... who knows ... i was just trying to say that you are doing a LOT right now and it makes sense to *me* that running 3 miles, 5 weeks postpartum after a twin pregnancy & c-section, when you are really just kind of hanging on day-to-day on milk & latching, and when one single 4 hour stretch of sleep is notable ... is kind of crazy! i know you love running and it's good for your sanity but think of what your body is going through right now and all the stress you're under. remember, it's not just the babies who have now reached their due date, but your body too. *all* of that is going to get better as you recover a little more, get more sleep, get less stressed about milk production and latching, etc.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah I know, I'm crazy about pushing myself and wanting to be back in shape. Our family doctor said the first few months you just have to get through and then they start rewarding you more with smiles and stuff. They do smile now, though and my little guy gave me a really sweet smile when I was tandem nursing at my last LC appt. I just think running is a good stress reliever and maybe good for me to have something non-baby in my life, too. It's so hard and it's hard to read articles and stuff about holding your baby non-stop because I did hold DD whenever I wasn't pumping or nursing for her but now we have two and I do wear them both in Moby a little but it's not like having a 2nd baby or a 1st. I'm glad we have two and love them to pieces but man, twins are a ton of work.

i know. it is good to have some non-baby things in life. just - give yourself a break, ok? you're doing a lot oh, and quit reading all that mommy war *****. you know how you want to parent these boys; do as well as you can every day, but with your own oxygen mask on too, kwim?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

How about starting with walking, rather than running? Gets you outside, gets you some exercise, but maybe a little gentler on your body? Auderey is right you are pushing yourself crazy hard! I've never been a runner but I love my exercise too and I found walking was great for me to get a little bit of activity post-partum and out of the house. And if that is going well, try a short jog first? I mean I know you are a marathoner so 3 miles probably is a short jog for you - but for many people that is a serious workout, and after all the bedrest and surgery and all that don't you think it might be better to ease into things? It's pretty easy to get deconditioned even just being in bed for a few days.

And I agree stop reading all that stuff, it is just making you crazy. I don't see how you could possibly be MORE of a parent than what you are doing right now. How could it possibly be not enough?

As for 1 or 2 ounces of formula a day - you know I think a lot of what we worry about here is the slippery slope thing - that if a new mom starts off with 1 or 2 ounces it becomes 3 or 4 and so on. But I don't think someone who's committed to breastfeeding but is falling a couple ounces short after pumping 11 times in half a day is going to fall down that slippery slope, you know?

I started walking while they were still in NICU the main problem is that it takes so long and really doesn't do anything for stress/endorphins, you know? And when it gets cold out I cannot go for a walk in 0 or 20 degrees but I can totally run in any temp. I didn't have any chills/aches yesterday so I ran again this a.m. well, ran-walked and I think it went OK.

Yeah I think the slippery slope thing is less likely with all the pumping since I'm still telling my body to make milk. I made way less yesterday and I don't think today is going any better. I got up every 2 hrs during the night because that's what the babies did and also I'd rather have more time during the day so I'm not pumping every hr. I need to spend time with DD. she misses me and I miss her, too. I've been a SAHM except for a few days/month since she was born and she's used to so much attention from me and her world has really been rocked. I think I get as much sleep if I just get up and pump during the night and not nurse and nurse more during the day but I cannot nurse 10 minutes after I pump. My LC said it doesn't matter bc there's always milk and they can get another letdown but when they're already struggling it just frustrates them and me too and they only get a few ccs.
    Last edited by @llli*krystine; September 2nd, 2013 at 03:09 PM.

If you can try, a schedule with twins is a life saver. We started day 1 with a schedule and we were tired but we were always one step ahead of the girls and could be ready to feed them. Also, we used pumped milk overnight. That way I could get a little extra sleep and skip a feeding.

Our twins were preemies too so they had to eat a lot. We did 12:30am, 3:30am, 7am, 11am, 2:30pm, 5:30pm, 9:30pm. Usually after the 7 I would go back to sleep and again after the 2:30pm. It's not the sleep you are used to but it's better than nothing. We had to wake our girls to eat but the dr wanted them eating. I usually skipped the 12:30 am feed and would pump at 3:30.

Obviously use what works for you but lots of twin families use a schedule and it makes a big difference.

Would they ever request to eat at other times? I try to keep them in synch at least so when one wakes up we diaper change and feed and then get the other one. Mine are 6 days past due date and have been waking up on their own to eat for weeks. They were on a 3 hr schedule at the NICU but I guess I didn't feel entirely comfortable with it, or if they are hungry before 3 hrs I really can't stave them off. I also have a pretty small storage capacity at breast and if I were breastfeeding without pumping they really would have to eat ever 2 hrs to get enough.

Our girls did not. But we were feeding them every 3 hours except for 2 4 hour stretches. In the NICU it was every 3 hours so our girl who stayed in the NICU was already used to 3 hours. As the got bigger the stretch from the 5:30pm to 9:30pm was harder so we just tried to get them to 9. After 2 months we found we were waking them for the 3:30 feeding and our pediatrician told us to let them sleep. Our NICU baby would wake up anywhere from 3-5am and eat, our other girl would sleep until 7. Eventually the schedule changes and they eat more at each feeding and eat at fewer times. But we are almost 5 months in and still use a schedule.

Also, we set alarms so they wouldn't wake up screaming and we were rushing. We were always ahead of them!
    If there's a twins group near you you could join as there's always people with good information. We are in nyc and there's a huge one here.