Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

yep, he is.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The SNS is just hard because the flow is too fast and my little guy ends up spitting up but it's so hard to get him latched on and the tube inserted just right I'm scared to give him too many burp breaks. I didn't use it at all during the night, just nursed and bottled. They got 30 and 38, 20 and 32, 38 and 32 the last 3 sessions from nursing. They nurse best if I haven't just pumped but I feel like I still need to pump a ton to keep my supply up. I emailed my LC and she is worried I'm trying to do it perfectly and stressing out to much and maybe I need to buy some alimentum to give them if I don't have quite enough.

DD was sick the last week and now I think I might be getting it. I'm really achy and cold and then hot. Just what I need. She ended up really dehydrated from vomiting and diarrhea.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Oh no, that is the last thing you need.
    I do agree with your LC that after a point, it's diminishing returns - if you are stressed out, in pain, exhausted, sick - how can you be the mom you want to be under those conditions? In the grand scheme of things, if formula let's you get a much-needed break from all the pumping, so be it. They will be fine. They are getting your milk.

Yeah, it's just going to be hard to supplement with formula since I know how different it is from breast milk. They would still be getting most of their nutrition from my milk, though.

I totally understand that - but hopefully it would only be temporary/occasional. And I really do think exhaustion, pain and stress can't be good for your supply. The only times I ever see my supply drop are when I am completely exhausted, sick and stressed.

i agree with bfwmomof3!

and also - i know SNS can be real persnickety - but i thought you could control the speed of flow by how high you hold the reservoir in comparison to the baby? if you put it lower than baby's head baby has to work against gravity, right? could you slow the flow that way?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I have no idea, I stuck it between my breasts bc that's where my LC put it. My LC emailed and said not to spend too much with the SNS. I'm trying not to stress. DH and I both napped with a different baby and that felt good. Now I have a bunch of pumping to do this evening again. I hope the not-worrying will increase my supply. It looks like I'll be buying alimentum in the near future, though. I am hoping when they get good at milk removal we can ditch the supplementing. If not, though, I know a lot of twin moms end up supplementing.

I think the fever and aches and awful feeling yesterday was mastitis. I felt fine by night time and this morning I ran 3 miles. I had run Friday and I wonder if the sports bra causes milk stasis and my problems. I didn't think of this until I got back from this a.m. run but if it happens again tonight I will be so sad because running is my stress reliever /sanity saver/ social outlet since I run with a group when I'm in shape.

but even if it IS that, that will not last forever. or even likely very long. you are still working on latch, supply, etc. once you get all that sorted you'd be able to run again! but also worth looking into different bras, right?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Hopefully it was whatever DD had, and not running-related. But agree about trying out different bras. Amazing though that you are running 3 miles at what, three weeks post-partum?!
    I think it is true that many moms of multiples end up supplementing a bit with formula. The one friend I have IRL with twins who tried to nurse them both drove herself into the hospital at a month postpartum due to utter exhaustion!