Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

Is mom helping you with all the washing up at least? I know you said DH can't cook, can she? It does sound terribly exhausting.

Yeah she has been helping with our 4 yr old and with laundry and cooking. She's leaving tomorrow and DD Is stressing her out complaining about everything. We're all so tired and stressed out.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

It will get better!

Thank you. I am going to see if a doctor will prescribe me Reglan. I am tired of pumping all the time and not having my supply go up and I"m pumping so much that it's almost never a good time to try to nurse.

ETA: nvm, I have an undiagnosed hx of depression and really don't want to mess with that when PPD is already higher with multiples and reglan is contraindicated in people with a family or personal hx of depression.
    Last edited by @llli*krystine; August 30th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

I nursed them both with the make-shift SNS today. I'm just having a hard time fitting in pumping with trying to nurse them every time they're hungry. I have been watching videos on Dr Jack Newman's site and he really supports at-breast supplementation so I figured I"d try it again. I do understand giving more stimulation at breast and more satisfaction. So if they already are used to bottles, is the SNS thing going to be helpful at preventing/reversing flow preference?

That's the thing, since they are latching, at least at times, and it's not like you can dispense with bottles at this point, is it worth the extra time/effort to do the SNS? From what you've described so far, it doesn't sound like bottle preference is too big of an issue at the moment, and it seems like you have to prioritize. Most important is to keep working on getting them to latch at least some of the time, and maintaining your supply with pumping, right? And getting some REST from time to time!

I know in general it's not good to schedule babies' feeding, but I have heard that having at least a loose schedule can sometimes help with twins - you mentioned yesterday it's hard to get them to the breast when they're frantic, but also hard to get the milk warmed up in time to give them a little EBM first. Do you think it might help to offer a little EBM at a set time after the last feeding, then the breast, so that you can bypass that sleeping-to-frantic-in-30 seconds phase? Just thinking aloud...

or can you keep that day's milk at room temp and not worry about heating it? some babies will even take it cold.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm not sure about the SNS - I like the idea that they're stimulating me while they nurse through it although the flow is still too fast for my little guy and he spits up. I don't know what's better for my supply - more nursing or more pumping. I am soo tired of pumping! And I know I need to keep it up but I would so much rather be nursing and if I just pumped I feel badly about offering them a mostly empty breast so the SNS makes me feel a little less bad since they can still get milk and we don't both end up crying. Plus it's almost faster to do SNS than to nurse and then bottle feed.

I agree some semblance of a schedule or at least synchronizing helps with twins. I so did not schedule DD in any way but it is awfully chaotic with twins no matter what, without one eating and another one following up in an hour. They both napped at the same time this afternoon and I napped with them for over an hour and it was wonderful.

I can keep milk out after I pump it. My LC said it's good for about 6 hrs at room temp so I could pump and then just leave it out. I'm just paranoid about something getting left out too long and going bad.

Well, it's 6:18 and I'm only on my 8th pumping so I am going to have to cluster-pump this evening. I have nursed them both 6x already today, though. My big guy got 40 ccs just from me last time! They really are making progress in the big picture although I don't know why yesterday had to be so awful. We all just get so tired and that doesn't help anyone's emotional state, either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I'm not sure about the SNS - I like the idea that they're stimulating me while they nurse through it although the flow is still too fast for my little guy and he spits up. I don't know what's better for my supply - more nursing or more pumping. I am soo tired of pumping! And I know I need to keep it up but I would so much rather be nursing and if I just pumped I feel badly about offering them a mostly empty breast so the SNS makes me feel a little less bad since they can still get milk and we don't both end up crying. Plus it's almost faster to do SNS than to nurse and then bottle feed.
    i think all of this is EXACTLY why jack newman recommends quitting pumping and just using the SNS. because it is too overwhelming. and keeping/getting breastfeeding on track for the long run is worth using partial formula for awhile.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    i think all of this is EXACTLY why jack newman recommends quitting pumping and just using the SNS. because it is too overwhelming. and keeping/getting breastfeeding on track for the long run is worth using partial formula for awhile.

I think that's his theory, too. I started following his FB page yesterday and was reading his site quite a bit last night. I am putting my EBM in the SNS now but I totally understand why women quit pumping. I had to do it for DD and it ties a person down so much and honestly my breasts just hurt right now from all the compressions I've done today. So far though they've gotten about 8.5 oz from me total for the whole day. Completely below what they need but more than they've gotten in the past.

Isn't Dr Newman one of the most respected BF-ing experts in the world? I think he said he has been helping with bf-ing since 1981.