Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    So you think it's ok to go 4 hrs ar night as long as we get 10x in?
    Yes! Early on, no. But at this point you've worked so hard on getting your supply to where it is, I think adding in one more session at night is only likely to be counteracted by adding to your already gigantic sleep deficit. And you already did the experiment of pumping more frequently at night and it didn't help. And they're gaining great so they don't seem to need it, either. Anyway, I'll be interested in what your LC thinks. But for tonight, I say, get your four hours of sleep!

I need to re-read Womanly Art because even though I know a ton about bf-ing problems, I have never nursed a baby normally before so all this trusting babies with supply/demand is new to me. I think I'm going to start limiting myself to 8 oz supp. yesterday they didn't even use 7, or the day before. Today will be 7-8 depending on what my little guy gets right now.

Oh and I have to put another good word in for Dr Newman. He emailed me back so quickly and I updated him Sunday about our progress and he said that was very good to hear and that I've done well and keep him in touch. I'm really grateful bc he has to be so busy and his website and fb page have been a huge help to me.
    Last edited by @llli*krystine; October 8th, 2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

krystine, 1 week since bottles!!!!! you should be SOOO proud of yourself.

i gree about 4 hrs at night - sleep.

the kellymom page on weaaning from supplements might be good to look at gain soon.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My LC had a couple of suggestions : feed my little guy fitst all the time since he isn't quite as good at removing milk. His LLT still restricts him a little. I asked about weaning from supp, she said moms know when their babies are hungry and if I'm comfortable with the source of my donor milk and have enough to not stress out too much if we need to supp. long-term.

My big guy keeps getting better at milk removal and faster 88 and 82 ccs 2 of our am sessions today and then it's even harder for my LO to get it after him so I'm going to get more consistent about choosing my LO first.

That all makes a lot of sense. Is your donor mom going to be able to continuing giving you milk? If that's the case then no rush to wean it off. It sounds like they are gradually weaning themselves off of it - pretty recently you were at 10 oz, now down to 7-8 - so that's great! And yay to Dr. Newman for emailing you back!

I don't have 1 dedicated donor mom but have gotten milk from human milk for human babies and I have enough to last until 4 mos old. I can always post a need again. I got 2 offers really quickly this weekend so I'm pretty optimistic. That also gives me a good 6-7 weeks to potentially boost my supply.

awesome! sounds like your big guy is getting full feeds - that's about 3 oz!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

6-7 weeks is a lot of time. That's great!

I talked to dh this am about changing our schedule bc I am so extremely exhausted and right now we wake the babies to nurse at 1230 and they're not always very hungry. I'm thinking of dropping from 10 to 9 sessions, and in the evenings nurse at 600, 830 then go to bed with them around 945, nurse at 1130 and 330. I otherwise was nursing at 6, 8, 10, 1230, 330, and then up for the day at 330 so I can run at 5 a.m. It still takes an hr or more to nurse them both. Anyway, I need to sleep and honestly while I care about my supply, it hasn't gone up one bit in fact have had some scary low days yesterday and 2 days before that. But I just am tired of caring so much. My boys are 3 mos old on Saturday. I have a bunch of donor milk in the freezer and more coming and I am doing the best I can and just am at the end of my rope. We love kids but I am totally not having a good time about all of this because of all the pressure to try to feed my babies and I want them healthy and attached but I'm just so worn out I don't know how I'll function at my high-stress high-responsibility job at the hospital when I go back in Dec, even if it is just a few days/month. Anyway, thoughts on 9x day like that? Should it reasonably keep up my supply? They're not doing a ton at our current 1230 session anyway and we're all just tired.

Oh and I now have 2 trusted dedicated donors.