Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

I had a major panic because I nursed at 12 am then completely slept through my 2 am alarm. My big boy was sleeping in the crook of my arm and he didn't wake me up.I woke up at 445 and had to call and cancel my running date and then big boy nursed over 4 oz and my little guy 2.5. I gave him another .5 oz nursing before I ran (solo, later). But the sleep did feel great and I was getting really tired and crabby at midnight bc babies were hungry, I don't have a great supply at night and had already used up my 9 oz of supp for the day. With all that, though, I made about as much as usual, 1014 ccs for the 24 hrs by 615 this am so I would like to declare my babies as good as the pump at getting milk and just ditch it. yay! but still closely monitoring for awhile.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

AAAWESOME!!! yes. good for you and them!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

auderey - I could cry happy tears. My daughter never got to this point. Ever. My twins are 10 weeks, almost 6 weeks adjusted and they are doing it! I was so discouraged even just a few days ago. I never thought we'd get to this point.

AND you got 4 hrs of sleep, right??
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Right! And man did I freak out about it. But it did feel pretty awesome.

I've been following this thread and just wanted to say congrats! So glad things are finally working out for you and the twins. This is awesome!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

That's great krystine! Also I'd like to point out that after those 4 hours your babies extracted 6.5 ounces form your breasts - your storage capacity may be better than you thought!

Thank you! Tomorrow at 3 a.m. will be 1 week since they've had bottles.

You're sort of right about storage capacity but I worry about long-term supply issues from less frequent milk removal. Right now nursing 10x/day. 12 is just crazy intense and last night I fell asleep after nursing my little guy before getting to my big guy both times! It was crazy. I think I tried to put a pacifier in my mouth. I laugh at my own fatigue but it's bad. I am napping well with my babies, though. We all take a family nap and I have gotten 2 straight hrs the last two afternoons. It is a huge help.

My supply is pretty stable. I meet with my LC tomorrow mostly just to visit and so she can see my boys. She hasn't gotten to see them since August - I've been working with another LC in the same practice but I really like this one more. She helped me so much with my daughter and I told her about my pregnancy at 12 weeks before I had told too many people so we do have a good relationship.

Both boys are getting way better at latching and this might sound weird but my nipples aren't as large now that I"m not pumping. I wonder if the pump was drawing them out too much?? But most of the time they seem more normal-sized. They seem to change size throughout the day though. They used to be flat, maybe that's part of it?

Why would long-term supply be affected? Your supply should go up and down as demand goes up and down. And nursing twins 10x per day is equivalent to nursing a singleton 20x/day. ie, a LOT of nursing. Glad you've gotten some good naps in though. Did you ask your LC about backing down the supplements slowly?

That's interesting about the nipples. I guess that's also helping them latch better?

So you think it's ok to go 4 hrs ar night as long as we get 10x in?
    I see my LC tomorrow and will ask about decreasing supp. but they gain 5-7 oz/week so they are doing well still.