Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

aw, poor babies, i hope they fight it off!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

9 oz is and oz less than the day before, right? So far you're not needing more donor milk. So that's really good. And definitely sounds like they're on track with frequency. Hope the congestion passes quickly....

Yes 1 oz less, just hope they're getting enough. I pumped a whopping 7 ccs with my Symphony for 20 min. 7?? seriously. It would have been better just to run and get home sooner to my then-hungry babies. At least it means they're cleaning me out though, right?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Right!

Now I'm worried because my big guy was 1 oz lighter today. I know it's just one data point but it does scare me. I will weigh again tomorrow and maybe weigh their sessions tonight. I don't know why he would have lost actual wt but it is not a confidence booster, for sure. I wish this could all be easier and I wish I had abundant supply.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    I saw this link bfwmom posted - and have been thinking about it. Would I be crazy to try this with my babies???

Actually I was thinking about that after I posted that link for the other mom. Because right now babies are consistently getting around 5 oz of donor milk a day. So theoretically it seems like you could get stuck in a rut where you're making everything they need minus 10 oz (5 per baby). In the absence of pumping, which doesn't seem to be doing a lot for your supply, it seems like you won't get the stimulation you need to get closer to the total amount. So I think you could try very gradually decreasing the amount of donor milk they get and see if they'll make up for it with nursing. Why not discuss with your LC?

As for the 1 oz lighter - well, they're congested. My first baby was sick all the time (day care!) and there were definitely times when he didn't gain much weight. Or even lost. I mean I realize you need to pay close attention in your situation. But I wouldn't make too much of 1 oz on a day when he's sick.

Yeah their wts fluctuate throughout the day, and my little guy had gained 1.5 oz and I re-weighed my big guy and he was 2 oz more and it's just crazy. I am driving myself crazy with numbers. Well, my goal is to not go above 10 oz supplementing even if it means nursing every hr in the evenings. Right now working on session 9 (counting the 3 we did starting at midnight). So it will be pretty close together tonight but we only went 2.5 hrs once and 3.25 hts once, otherwise within 2 hrs of each other every time. We're going to try weighing them during the night for tonight just to give me a little more info. I'd love to just be relaxed and count wet diapers, which they're wetting but I'm changing them every feeding so they're not always as soaked naturally as when they were eating 8x/day.

I'm sure it's hard to get that exact of a daily weight - because it's going to fluctuate as they nurse and pee, right? I was thinking about what kind of crazy log you must have for all their weights!

Typically I try to weigh them at the same time of day and not daily. I have calendars for both babies on the fridge and then notebooks of all their data when they nursed, how much they got, how much I pumped, how much they got through SNS or bottle. Crazy times but I love numbers. The calendars with wts is something the NICU started and I just kept it up.