Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

That's great, krystine. Sounds like things are really moving in the right direction.

Thanks. I can't say I'm getting much sleep at night. Sometimes they both nurse and then 1 minute later the first baby wants to nurse again. Which makes me wonder how good of a job they are doing. I am pumping right now before my run just to make sure I'm empty bc I am so scared of mastitis but I just nursed them both. It just takes an hr. I wish I could nurse them more quickly. Also I seem to contort my back really oddly trying to slip my hand underneath to support and compress my breast. I don't know if it's just their age and size because I remember it being so easy with DD when she was 2 (we started co-sleeping and nursing at night with her around 7 weeks and she was maybe 7.5-8 lbs then, so definitely not larger than my twins).

I hope I'm doing the right thing. It still takes so long to feed them, even without the pumping. I supplemented 10 oz yesterday which is as much as ever. I hope I can cut it back a little but I don't want to do too many new things at once.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

long feedings can be totally normal - ds nursed at least half an hour a time at that age probably usually longer, so doing 2 in an hour sounds typical to me! hard but typical.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

There were times where my newborns would nurse for 50 minutes, then nurse again half an hour later. Even with a singleton it can be unending.
    Have you tried different pillow configurations to support your back/torso?
    I think you are doing the right thing. Give it a few days at least. You can always add back pumping. But my guess is that all this nursing, nursing, nursing is going to be really good for your supply! But it might take a few days for you to see that.

It took us an hour plus to feed the twins in the beginning. It's normal. TOTALLY normal. Everyone I know who has twins it takes about an hour. Also, although it may take longer you could consider not tandem nursing. For us, our little girls didn't do well with tandem. They needed their own turns. So we gave one pumped milk and one would breastfeed and then we would switch it up for the next feeding.

I don't know what I should do. My normally easy going baby has been so angry this morning. I don't know if he's hungry or just over-due on his pooping (he goes a long time, it's been over a week now). I don't want to supplement even more so I've been trying to limit them to about 2 oz/session so I can get them to nurse 12x/day. Well I thought "he's starving!" so I just sat down to nurse and he latched on for a second really poorly so I delatched him and now he's sleeping happily in my lap. Maybe he just wanted to be held (I was wearing his brother, I just can't keep them both happy at the same time).

They have gotten less from me today than they did yesterday at this time. It's really scary to think I might be losing my supply even more. Then I think, logically, how could i lose my supply when I wasn't getting much pumping anyway? They ate plenty yesterday, pretty sure, and still gaining about an oz/day. wet diapers, etc. I think they just are used to having more full tummies and eating fewer meals and I don't know if this is going to be a fussy adjustment period as I try to teach them to eat smaller meals more often? Even though I nursed DD for over 3 yrs I really have no concept of what normal breastfeeding babies do because she never got the hang of nursing, always dependent on pumped milk and nothing at all was typical about our breastfeeding journey.

Oh and I did try tandem nursing this a.m. and it totally was a waste of time. 10 and 12 ccs each and just a poor time for both of them.

Don't over-analyze fussiness. Even in an easy-going baby. For one thing, my experience is that easy-going newborns can evolve into demanding and opinionated babies after a couple months! For another, there are just so many reasons baby can be fussy. Tired, hot, cold, needing to poop, wet, dirty, wanting to be held, overstimulated, understimulated or whatever else. I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that it has to do with your supply. Babies' weight gain is awesome! If the weight gain and the diapers are on track, you are feeding them enough. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that a full belly is going to be the magic bullet to keeping them calm - that's likely to lead to overfeeding with the bottle.

OK, they haven't gotten as much today and if this isn't working I want to nip it in the bud before I really destroy my supply. I am so stressed and confused. I want them off bottles at night, I want to stay in bed and nurse. I'm on session 8 since 7 am (13 hrs ago) trying to get 10-12x in. Maybe I dropped too much too soon but I absolutely don't want to pump if they don't need it.

8 sessions in 13 hours - and last night they nursed all night - sounds like they're easily on target for 12 in 24. This is only day 2 of no pumping, right? See where you are in the morning.

Well now they're congested again. If this turns into full blown colds like they just got over I am going to cry. Because they nursed so poorly and were so tired when they were sick and they haven't even left the house.

I ended up pumping at 10 pm and got an oz. Then nursed at 12, 2, and 430, now I'm pumping again before my run but not getting much but I wanted to just confirm that they're emptying me. I'd say they're nursing 11-12 times/ 24 hrs right now. Last night went better just waking them to nurse and me staying awake for their sessions so they could be full and stop vs nursing all night long not doing much (or maybe doing something but what do I know). I ended up supplementing about 9 oz yesterday subtracting the 2 oz I pumped. Well I've pumped for 17 min now with my Symphony and have less than .5 oz so I think I"ll just stop and go for my run so I can get home and nurse them sooner. Praying they don't get sicker.