Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I don't know. I'm trying to keep my supply semi-up but hard time doing it without sleeping but supposed to need to sleep to function and make milk. It's a vicious cycle.
    Are your babies getting formula? Or are you doing donor milk for all your supplementation?

Way too lazy for formula

So far just donor milk but after next week that will have to change. But fortunately we've been the recipient from several very generous moms, including my sister.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I don't see how you can pump every hour with two infants and a four-year-old. It's amazing that you manage to pump 8 times a day! Anyway, what does your LC think you should do?

I emailed her and also Dr Newman. I think I'm about done pumping. It's stupid and I'm only getting an oz after they both nurse. I think they'd be just as well off without me pumping at this point but it's a little bit scary to quit since it's sort of a milk-removal safety net, you know? But also liberating to consider.

I know what you mean, but really, there is more to being a mother than providing breast milk, you know? I guess what I mean is, they will still be getting breastmilk from you, but maybe if you back down on the pumping, you can pay more attention not just to nursing, but also to all the non-feeding aspects of being a mom. ie maybe spend some more time cuddling and playing with your babies (and DD!) which are important for them and you. And even strictly from the milk perspective, maybe using some of the time to focus more on nursing - like nursing them at night, rather than pumping - may improve their nursing and stimulate your milk supply more than the pump - so it may even help from a supply perspective. I don't think you'll know until you try it.

But I thought you were getting 90oz this week? Will that not last longer than a week as a supplement?

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah it'll last a little over a week. So after next week we'll be out. I'm getting it tomorrow and then actually that mom is going to give me more in 2 weeks. Either way it's likely they'll be getting formula soon.

My LC emailed me back, said to trust my intuition about stopping pumping and just nurse more often. So that's what I'm going to do, hoping the babies keep up nursing OK and we can sustain this.

Well, so far today without pumping since 10 a.m. I've made more than I have the last 2 days! Now we'll see how nursing through the night goes. Thanks for all the support, ladies. You're amazing.

Yay! That's great. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Well, so far today without pumping since 10 a.m. I've made more than I have the last 2 days! Now we'll see how nursing through the night goes. Thanks for all the support, ladies. You're amazing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Well we brought the scale back to the bedroom but it just woke up my little guy after he was nice and content so we stopped weighing for during the nights. They nursed all night long so I can't say I got a ton of sleep but I don't feel engorged or anything and they would fall asleep after nursing so I think they got what they wanted.

The lady who is giving me milk said she has 100+ oz now. I'm pretty excited.