Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

Wait. What's happening in here?

Way too lazy for formula

I don't know. I'm trying to keep my supply semi-up but hard time doing it without sleeping but supposed to need to sleep to function and make milk. It's a vicious cycle.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

krystine, you HAVE a breastfeeding relatonship with your boys! even if they get more than 6 oz formula a day.

did you try the midnight/4 thing last night? how are you feeling today?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I did! I got up at 1230/4 and actually feel quite a bit better. I was talking to DH last night about how tired we both are but really we're going to be tired no matter how we feed these little boys. I think newborn twins have to be exhausting even if they're formula fed exclusively or nurse like little champs.

One of my local friends had twins at 31 w and they got the hang of nursing 2-3 weeks after their due date. Anyway they're 5 mos old now and only take 10 min. each for each nursing session! She said it gets easier....

It's just frustrating because yes I breastfeed but there's also pressure each time I nurse to worry about how much they got, how well did they latch, etc.

Glad you got a little more sleep last night. And yes, I'm sure twins are exhausting no matter how they are fed.

They had their ped visit last week. How were their weights? Does pediatrician/LC think that you need to continue measuring intake with every feed?

Heh, still so tired. I don't think I"ll ever catch up on rest.

Their weights are fine but I was kind of upset because the nurse offered to give me the percentiles and she didn't adjust their age so she gave them for 2 mo babies. So my little guy is in the 1st percentile. Our MD doesn't really say much about their weights. He knows we're going to a LC and the LC's bf-ing center faxes him all the reports and wts and he just leaves the feeding between them and us, pretty much. He will ask if they're breastfeeding and how many x/day and at least 6 wet diapers but he thinks they're growing fine. They're not huge by any means, 9 lbs 7 oz and 8 lbs 9 oz but they were 5-9 and 5-3 at birth so they have packed on a few lbs in 2 mos.

My LC wants me to measure intake so we can see how well they're catching on to breastfeeding. If they do really well I might be able to cut down on pumping and supplementing.

They are doing better now that they're recovering from their colds. They really didn't do as well this past 1.5 weeks with being tired and sick. I hope this means good things for my supply.

I hope so too!

Don't worry about percentiles. My twins JUST made it onto the charts in the past month -seriously. Not even the first percentile. Also, some doctors don't do adjusted ages. If it makes you feel any better about weights, my girls were 12.5lbs and 9.13lbs at their 5 month check up. They started at 5.13 and 3.2!

Glad you were able to get some sleep.

Ugh. My supply is still really down. I just made 33 oz vs 38 a week ago. Again....and I'm eating tons, tons of baked oatmeal with flax and brewer's yeast, taking my more milk special blend, all of that. mother's milk tea. Maybe 8 pumpings a day isn't enough. This is so frustrating. I don't want to nurse them less but I know my LC had me just pump every hour when they were tiny because they weren't removing milk and that really helped. I also had my husband home at the time and could do that. Now I'm home alone all the time with 3 kids and it's all I can do to keep everyone fed and changed right now.

I don't see how you can pump every hour with two infants and a four-year-old. It's amazing that you manage to pump 8 times a day! Anyway, what does your LC think you should do?