Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

I guess I think , they are taking this amount, is it really appropriate to lessen it if they're seeming to do pretty well on their current amnt? I know babies don't need more cals from this age through 6 mos, just that they slow their wt gain but I just wonder. And I can request more milk it's just crazy because one person will put up an offer on HMHB and within 10 minutes there are all sorts of women wanting it. And in my city there are at least two other moms of preemie twins who are seeking donor milk on their FB page.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

When did you bump up the supplementation? I thought it was quite recently - in which case the weight gain over the last 24 days would mostly reflect the weight gain on the lower supplementation amount. But if you've been doing the higher amount of the last couple weeks, then you're right, the weight gain would be more reflective of the higher amount. And of course if they are clearly hungry you don't want to starve them! But sometimes it can just be hard to tell.

This is pathetic of me but I don't remember when I started giving them more than an oz at some feedings....maybe over a week ago but I honestly can't remember. I have been watching them more closely today and stopping if they seem full after an oz vs 1.25-1.5 oz.

I think that's good... because what you don't want to do is essentially overfeed them with the donor milk, so that they nurse less with you, you know? Because it seemed like they were doing well with the lower amount.

Yeah, they were. Do they really not need more once they hit 10 lbs or so? I know I've read that, it just seems scary to not give them more and I wondered if I could over-feed them too much s long as they were still nursing both sides before inserting the tube. I just like seeing them full, too.

Oh and I am really done pumping; I needed to quit so I could nurse more but I am shocked at some of my twin mommy friends who nurse their babies and still pump 2-3x/day. Is that necessary if they are never getting bottles? I don't understand unless they need to build a stash. And for me, since my supply didn't drop nursing them, I don't think adding in pumping would do anything. I hate pumping with 3 kids who need me anyway so I don't get it if the baby nurses well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Do they really not need more once they hit 10 lbs or so? .
    I've never heard that... According to the milk calculator (and everything else I've heard/read), milk needs are constant after 1 month, until solids start to take over. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

I agree, I don't think it's necessary to keep pumping if the babies aren't getting bottles anyway. But people do get psychologically attached to the pump, you know? I guess they may be worried that if they stopped pumping they wouldn't have enough. Or they like having a stash. But I don't think that means you need to pump.

I think it's 1 month average but for tiny babies it's more like 10 lbs because they don't drink as much at first. I can't remember where I read that. I wish I could start solids earlier but it doesn't seem like it's a good idea so I guess I'll try to hold out till 6 mos adjusted.

I'm not pumping outside of work but I understand being attached to needing the pump. It's like a safety net and it was scary to quit but so freeing, too.

Their preemie development check up is today at the hospital.

Oh, I see what you're saying. But you were measuring how much your babies were drinking to the oz when you had a scale, and they were getting around 24 oz, right? Which is THE average milk intake for normal-size term babies who are more than a month old. So it seems like they had already caught up to the usual amounts a term baby would be drinking, even at that time.

Hope the preemie check goes well!

Yeah but I think they were getting about 22 oz/day so that is a little below average because I wasn't making 38 oz most days. I am nervous about running out of frozen milk esp with waiting till 7 mos for solids.

Their preemie check went well, they are doing everything they are supposed to

That's good news!

Remember 24 oz is an AVERAGE - some babies drink more, others less - 22 oz may be fine for any particular baby.