Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

Yeah I am so nervous about dropping a pump, especially a nighttime one because that's when I actually get something (like more than an oz).

The colds are miserable. They also had shots today at their 2 mo appt so they're miserable from those, too.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

If you can keep a pump before bed (say 11:15pm) and then a pump at 3:30am that would give you about 4 hours of sleep. And then you can sleep again until the first morning feeding? It worked for me and certainly gave me my biggest chunk of sleep for the day. I understand not wanting to drop overnight pumps because they can yield so much but it's really important to sleep and rest so you can make more milk.

I have to pump before I run in the morning so I'm all empty then so right now I pump at 9 pm, try to be in bed 945, 12, 3a.m. and then just stay up, pump around 420 and then run 5-620ish, shower and nurse 630/645 around there. Technically, if we get DD to bed and everything I could sleep 9:45-12, 12:45-3 which would be 4.5 hrs .I don't usually get that much. DH gives bottles 9, 12, 3. I just went to a schedule bc they weren't requesting often enough and we are feeding them before they're too hungry this way.

Early morning is the only time I can run and I have friends who will meet me that early so it's safe and also my social time. I know it's crazy and I'm exhausted but it's my only non-baby thing in my life so I have to do it. Plus I have 30 lbs to lose and it's depressing. I tried not eating much on Thurs/Fri and lost wt and also lost a lot of my milk supply so I'm back to eating more but not losing wt. I don't know how I'm supposed to lose wt while keeping milk up.

We got samples of Alimentum from our doctor and just have two bags of donor milk left so my babies will be getting formula in a few days. That's really hard for me.

krystine, you're not getting enough sleep! Really, how do you do it? What if you took twinsincity's suggestion and pumped at 9 pm, 1 am, and 4:20 am. Then you could sleep 9:45 - 1 am and 1:45 - 4:20 am and get closer to 6-7 hours of sleep. How much sleep do you need under normal conditions? Even 6 -7 hours would not be enough for me but for some people it might be, at any rate it would be a little closer to what most people need. Anyway, don't you think it would be worth at least trying for a week? Because I think twinsincity makes a good point that maybe giving yourself a little more rest may actually increase your pump output.

As for losing weight - you are only two months postpartum from TWINS. Focus on your milk supply. The weight will come off with time. You're making what, 38 oz a day? That is 760 calories a day that is going straight into milk. Not to mention the calories you are burning running for over an hour a day. Those calories need to come from somewhere. You need to eat!!

krystine, listen to bfwmomof3!! where is this pressure to lose weight coming from? 30 lbs after twins is normal, probably on the low side!!! you need more sleep and you need your calories.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Krystine - you have to sleep. Really. I know that running is an outlet right now so I'm not going to say give that up, but you need to rest to get more milk. You're wearing yourself out. And I understand wanting to lost weight but you have to eat. There's no way to make milk without eating.

good that you're trying a schedule. I think it will be easier for you in the long run!!

Ugh. I know. I am just so nervous about my milk supply. I know I need sleep to make milk but I need milk removal, too. I did this for DD (set my alarm every 3 hrs) for 9 or 10 mos. I just want to get these boys on solids so I don't need as much milk! And yeah I know it'll be awhile before they make a dent in what they need for milk from solids. It's crazy. I know it's crazy. I just keep hoping something awesome will happen with my supply and things will work out. I'm getting 90 oz of donor milk on Thurs...

The nerves aren't helping. Whenever I would get nervous or upset, my supply would go down. You have to stop putting all this pressure on yourself. If you have to supplement, you supplement. Twins is not a single baby. Not every mom can make enough milk for twins and nobody, and I mean NOBODY should make you feel bad for needing help - either from donor milk or having to use formula. You can't put this much pressure on yourself. Just feed the babies. I'm an advocate for breastfeeding but I'm not an advocate for having the mom be so tired she can't even enjoy life because you're so focused on breast feeding!!!

I know all this in my head. I really do. I want to breastfeed because I want that relationship with my babies and I want us to have the health benefits. I say to myself, will those benefits really be negated if they get 6 oz of formula a day (or even less). And I say no, it's not a big deal. What really drive me batty is that if I don't have enough milk in me, then they can get a full feed and I feel like I'll be stuck pumping and using the SNS until they really are 9-10 mos old and established on solids. That's what really bothers me. Because I went through all this with DD and more.

I'll try getting up at 1230 and 4 tonight and see how that works out.

Try to just think about one day at a time. Don't worry about 9-10 months from now. Just do what you can. And as much as you want a brestfeeding relationship with your babies, your babies are YOUR babies. You are the mommy. No matter how they get fed.