Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    That does sound stressful, although also good that they are growing. How much are they getting at the breast right now? How is latching? Are you able to put them to the breast more? If you can use the growth spurt to your advantage to do some more nursing and boost supply that way, that seems like it will be easier than trying to pump more, but of course it depends on how they are doing with the nursing right now. Also, remember that the growth spurt won't go on forever! So hopefully you will be able to catch up again in the next couple of days.
    Right now about 1.5 oz each and honestly by the time they're done with me I'm usually pretty empty. I wait another 20 minutes or so to pump (at the suggestion of my LC) to give me a little more milk. By the time I nurse both of them it's about an hr long and then I pump. I just don't even feel like I can nurse them much more often and I want them to feel satisfied so I've been putting more in their SNS tube. Otherwise they finish and then they root around and chew on their fingers. I know I could technically nurse them more often but it's already taking up about all the time I have and they do still sleep quite a bit so it's not like I'm going to wake them up to nurse, especially after I just pumped. Not trying to dismiss your suggestion to nurse more, it's just super hard with two babies.

Latching it sort of OK. My bigger baby still does not open wide and I get nibbled on very often which hurts really badly. They still tend to be shallow although I will relatch them so it's comfortable. Again I guess bigger mouths will have an easier time witih it all. By the time they're both done I am often sore and if I weigh them and they are still hungry any way, yesterday I just gave them to my mom or DH to give another 10-15 ccs in a bottle because my nipples just couldn't handle any more and it's just exhausting.

I think I have enough donor milk right now to get me through another 2 weeks, hopefully by then I'll have enough milk...I'm eating baked oatmeal while I pump, still taking more milk special blend but I don't think the herbs are doing anything for me anyway. The day I ran out and didn't take any I didn't have a dip anyway.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Well, it sounds like you are doing all you can (in no way did I mean to suggest that you weren't! more just trying to figure out what the lay of the land is currently), so I think you just have to ride it out with the donor milk. I mean the good thing is that you were keeping up before the growth spurt, so in all likelihood once the spurt is over you will be on track again, or maybe even ahead - in all likelihood you are getting some extra stimulation with all the feeding right now so your supply may actually bump up as well.

Yeah, actually they're nursing more often and as soon as they're hungry I let them nurse even if I recently stopped pumping. I was actually surprised my first baby I nursed (he got both sides) got 40 ccs in spite of my pumping not too long before and then my other baby just got 27 ccs. Growth spurts are challenging, especially with twins. If I just had one baby then it'd just be 5 more oz a day but 10 is a bit much, you know? I am loving the at tube supplementer/SNS thing, though. They don't necessarily finish it off, either, they stop when they're full.

They're up to about 24 oz each a day, now which is so close to what some babies max out at. DD took about 30-32 oz and I know boys tend to eat more than girls but my niece only ever drank 25 oz/day her entire first year (my sister EP'ed) When the spurt is over would they go back down to a lower amount or is this just their way of saying they're bigger and hungrier now so bring on the full amount? I don't remember growth spurts with DD and it was a sort of similar situation where I just pumped and nursed and gave her everything.

That all sounds really great, krystine! Yeah, 10 extra ounces is hard to come up with on the fly! 24 oz is definitely a completely normal amount for babies this age. Hard to say whether they'll stay at this level or drop down a bit after the spurt. I definitely felt like my babies would go through spurts with really intense nursing that would last a couple days, then let up a bit. So you might see them drop down a few ounces again, but since 24 oz is average for this age, maybe they'll stay there. I guess you'll find out in a couple days....

I'm so just totally stuck. I'm not making any more than I was when they were 3 weeks old. I make 35-38 oz/day with just a few lower outliers and the 38s are rare, too. I am trying *everything* I can think of. I admit I am pumping less - only 8-9x/day and not always power pumping because I just can not get enough sleep if I do that. I'm already getting up at 12am and 3 am to pump and then up sometime during the 4:00 hour for the day and pump at least once then. I go 4 hrs in the afternoon when they take their afternoon nap but that's 4 hrs from when they started nursing to when they start nursing again and I nurse both for about an hr combined then pump 30 minutes so it's not like nothing is happening to my breasts for 4 hrs straight.

I wonder if I should start encouraging them to nurse more at night in bed. They co-sleep so I could but right now they get bottles at night from DH and they are content to go 3-4 hrs (we demand feed). I talked to DH about it but he thinks I need my sleep. Right now getting 3-4 hrs/night max and broken up. If I just had one baby I could do more ,I did more for DD but I have twins and it's just harder. We have a little donor milk left but in the next 2 weeks we'll be supplementing with formula which I totally hate the idea of. I even researched goat milk but Dr Sears really does not recommend it since it can lead to anemia and gut problems so not doing that. I am so tired. I nurse both babies, pump and sometimes I don't even have 10 minutes before they want to nurse again so how do I do more or do I just be OK with the fact that they're going to be supplemented until I can supplement with solids.

How are they doing with nursing? I think whether to try to nurse them at night depends on how you think they will nurse at that time. Before it was just taking way too long right? 3 or 4 hours of sleep per night is not enough. It just isn't. I think your DH is right that you need the sleep. So I think nursing them at night would only make sense if it allowed you to replace a pumping session.

So maybe instead of thinking of yourself as being stuck, you need to think of it as, "I'm making 19 oz of milk each day for each of my babies and that is meeting the majority of their nutritional needs." Also, I would not assume that you will continue to make no more than 35-38 ounces a day. Because it's still quite possible that as they do become more efficient nursers and are not spending an hour on the breast every time that you will be able to nurse and/or pump more times in the day, and therefore make more milk. Because really what is limiting you is TIME - you really physically do not have the time to nurse/pump more times than you are!

I totally, totally understand not wanting to give formula. But the body has limits, you know? I don't see how you can do more than what you are doing. And you ARE doing, and have been doing, such a wonderful thing for them by nursing them and giving them breastmilk.

Well, they get the most milk when I have the most milk...right now they both have their first colds and are more sleepy than usual. Today just averaging 32 ccs/session. When they were well it was 50 ccs. And they have gotten up to 3 oz/session *if* I hadn't pumped for a couple of hrs before. But after they nurse I can get 1-1.5 oz so I do feel like I need to follow up with pumping to get those extra oz.

Today I didn't even get to nap. By the time they both nursed and I pumped and DD decided oh yes she did want lunch (she refused earlier), my little guy was ready to nurse again so the whole cycle started all over. Then they fell asleep so I sneaked them back to bed just for them both to wake up.Nurse again, now pumping again finally. I'm so tired.

Sorry about the colds . Geez, it does sound so tiring. You really are a trooper. Hope you got a little sleep last night.

Can I suggest dropping a pump? I know you want to pump to get supply up but if you drop the midnight pump and just sleep you may end up getting more milk. Trust me, I have been there with twins. The first few months were the most exhausting I've ever had in my life. No sooner did I finish breastfeeding then I had to pump. When I was done pumping I had to eat. And then sleep, but how could I sleep when it was time to feed them again!? I was ready to fall over. I decided to sleep through the 12:30am feed and skip pumping there entirely. When I did that I could sleep from 11:30pm-3:30am and then again from 4am to 7am. And that's when I started to feel more like a person. Just a suggestion.....

Also the colds STINK. Humidifier, shower and boogie wipes!!