Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

OK. Yes I am going to a twins breastfeeding support group. Well I haven't made it since I went on bed rest but plan to go back this week. Thanks for the ideas!

ETA: if we go a few 4 hr stretches then the do some 2 hr stretches too. They always eat at least 8x day usually 8 sometimes 9. They sleep in bed with me so I hear them stir before they really cry.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I never fed on demand or did cue feeding as my twins are my first but my girls really took to the schedule and it made everything easier. Twins is hard!! But it gets better. Everyone said that to me and I wanted to kill people who said it but its true.

Glad you got another run in and it went okay! Also glad that twinsincity found this thread...

I have the fear that they will never get the hang of nursing. I'm really discouraged. They get about .5 to 1 oz a time. Not really great. And my breasts don't have a great storage capacity. I think if we ever were to do away with bottles they'd have to nurse every hour or something or never be full. I don't want to EP. I hate the idea of that. But I really don't know how this will ever work out. It's a week past their due date and supposedly around now or in the next 2 weeks they're supposed to get it. I don't really see it happening. Everyone told me with DD any day or any week she'd just have it all click. It never happened. Now they say they're not like DD, they're doing better but I am not so sure. I was really optimistic at first but really don't have much hope any more. And DH is overwhelmed and tired too and I can't really help him bc I'm in the same situation except I'm here 24/7. He's going to totally drown when he's home with them all day and I go to work although it's just a few days a week I dread that day for all of us.

Why does it have to be either/or? Exclusive nursing or exclusive pumping? Maybe it will settle out, for a while, somewhere in the middle. Some nursing, some pumping, maybe even a little formula. It seems like you have to stop setting impossible standards for yourself! You can't be constantly nursing, constantly wearing both babies, etc. It's just not physically possible! But you'll figure out a way. And it will be a way that works for you and the babies, one way or the other. And then it will change! I don't know whether anybody can say whether they'll get it tomorrow or in a week or a month, but I do think the fact they can latch at all, at least at times, and drink 0.5 or 1 oz, is a good sign that they can latch more often, and drink 2 or 3 oz, which is the most they'll ever be drinking anyway, right?

Get some rest... you sound exhausted...

Thank you. I'm only ever online if I'm pumping but I'm trying to sleep between pumping and taking care of the babies. I will keep nursing them and won't EP, I know that, because I view breastfeeding as for relationship and health and I am not giving that up. And even with all the trials I had with DD after she turned 1 we had over 2 great years of not worrying about supply, being healthy and being more and more bonded with nursing. I just wonder how it will look this time.

Yeah 3 oz would be max, I think. Thanks for your encouragement. I think it's made worse that DH is so discouraged and he's reinforcing my discouragement.

you are doing so much. can you talk to dh about how his discouragemnet isn't helping you?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Sounds like he's exhausted too, I agree, maybe a gentle reminder that being positive will help you both get through these early weeks. And it is still really early yet.

It is so exhausting the first few weeks and I was breastfeeding and pumping (still doing it actually) and every time the girls would go to sleep I would still have another 30 minutes before I could because I had to pump. I wanted to just fall over. I actually have no idea how I did it. But, I did. And you will find your way too. Easy for me to say but try not to stress so much about when the babies were actually due and how they're doing. Just be happy with how they are now and where they are now. If you are constantly thinking about what "could" have been or "should" have been or if they will get the hang of breastfeeding etc, you'll never move forward. Can you maybe bring in some overnight help once a week? That way you could get some sleep one night?

Thank you all for your support. I really really appreciate it.

I went to a twin breastfeeding mommy group today. Very refreshing. Many of them had as many issues as we do and one of them has twins about the same age as mine, just one week older and they had no NICU time but actually I think she's struggling at least as much as we are. Not glad to see her struggle but it's also nice to know I'm not alone and we could encourage her about supply and stuff, too.

I ran out of my more milk special blend and thought I had 2 day shipping on my order but the wrong box must have gotten checked and instead of it coming yesterday it's not coming till Sat so I've not taken any all day. I can buy more tomorrow when I see my LC but I'm mad because I could have bought some today.

I'm eating baked oatmeal with flax and brewer's yeast like crazy. Yesterday I was 9 ccs ahead of them for the day! (doesn't really help my overall deficit but still, yay). And while at twin group all I did was nurse and my big guy got 56 ccs in an hr and my little guy got 22 in a half hr or so. I still definitely need to pump to get them enough milk but they are making inconsistent progress.