Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

That's great, krystine!

Thank you. It's their due date today and they are really waking up. I nursed my little guy 6x so far today and he's gotten 28, 18, 26, 10, 14, and 12 ccs. My bigger boy has not done as well, getting 4-10 ccs each time and a few times too tired to really latch on or do well but maybe another day. I so just want them to nurse and be done with all the pumping.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I'm sure! But six times in the day is terrific. Big boy will get there too... one day at a time.

We met with my LC today and the boys did even better than before! They got 52 and 66 ccs but 32 combined was through an SNS type of thing she made up but still both hit new records for milk removal. She also let them on much longer than I ever let them nurse. But I've been nursing them both all day - 5 x so far and they've gotten anywhere from 6-26 ccs from me at a time other than when we were with the LC. My big guy made noticeable progress from just yesterday so i really feel like they're turning a corner. I hate to get my hopes too up since DD never really got nursing well but they are not DD and they are making progress.

That's great! So does LC think you should keep using the SNS, or was that a "let's see what happens" experiment?

She said I'm welcome to use it but it does take an extra pr of hands and really it was hard to keep the boys latched on correctly with it. She said she doesn't care if I don't use it until I meet with her next week. It's already hard for me to keep them both on tandem!

you are making great progress!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you! Of course I tried tandeming them both for 11:30 session and they were both so frantic and I couldn't get the pillow right and ended up about crying because of frustration and pain from horrible latches on both of them. 4 ccs from my little guy who was on a lot longer and 28 on my bigger guy. And an hr of lost sleep bc I still have to finish pumping.

28 cc - isn't that a record for your bigger guy?
    Does it work to give them a little EBM from the bottle to calm them down, then try to tandem latch?

I do try the finish at breast and sometimes that does work, yes. It's just a matter of being organized with warm milk and being patient. It all takes so long any way and sometimes I just want to nurse them and then pump since I'm pumping almost hourly during the day.

Yesterday with my LC my bigger guy got 46 plus some from me and the sns thing (he got 66 total but not sure how much of the last 20 was sns milk vs straight from me - they got 32 of sns together) . He has been doing better and got 28 2x today and 30 1x. I know it's progress I am just such an emotional wreck. I took a long nap with my little guy while my mom had big guy and that helped. Then they were both asleep so I pumped when I got up and 8 min into my pumping they started waking up and crying so I stopped pumping and nursed them both - 12 and 16ccs. I wish I hadn't been so empty to start them out. My LC said not to worry about it, there's always milk in there but when the babies are already poor at milk removal it seems harsh to give them a mostly empty breast. Now I'm pumping but getting very little. I've also been stressed about my supply today, they've been ahead of me all day.