Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: When baby is poor at milk removal

Default Re: When baby is poor at milk removal

Thank you! Of course I can't get them to duplicate those totals at home...but they're getting something.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Seriously wish I could just give up. I just tried to nurse both of them, one got 6 ccs woo hoo and the other wouldn't even latch well enough to get anything. I'm so tired and tired of having to pump just about every hour. I know I can't give up and they're preemies and could get sick and die on formula but I am just tired. I worked way harder than this for DD though so I feel like I owe it to them.

I haven't nursed premature twins but I definitely remember having the feeling in early weeks of just wanting to give up! Even with a healthy singleton. And thoughts going through my mind of how much easier formula would be. So I can only imagine what it's like when you have twins with difficulty latching and having to pump around the clock. Utterly, utterly exhausting. But you are really doing such a terrific job. Reading your posts about the progress you are making is inspiring! Of course, it's always going to be a step forward, a step back. Maybe at the next feeding they'll both drink 20 cc's. And in a few weeks or a few months, however long it takes, at some point you will get to that point where they are both nursing well and it will SO be worth it. Anyway, I know you know that. Mainly just wanted to say we are all rooting for you and the twins! Hang in there!

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you. I think I need to take a break from the scale for a few days. I took a nap with one of them on my chest and that helped. I just get so stressed out and emotional.

Hi,
    Had a lbw baby at 2.2 kg who went down to 1.9 kg it took her actually 1&1/2 months to start sucking and feeding her I did supplement her with formula cause I was feeding her on demand too which was nearly hourly . But the preterm and low birth weight babies do take time to find their rhythm , don't worry u' ll definitely be fine in a few months just pull through this phase somehow.concentrate on them being healthy right now that's most imp direct breast feed will definitely happen give it some time.

Thank you. My full term daughter took a year to get it so I pumped 15 months with her. It just seems harder this time dealing with two babies and a preschooler. I think the sleep deprivation is getting to me more this time.

I attempted to nurse my bigger twin this morning and he wouldn't even open wide enough to latch on. I don't know what I'm supposed to do because it just frustrates me when I try and they don't even get on or get any milk. I know they're not trying to stress me out but it's hard.

Krystine, do you have one of those pillows for twins? It's like a boppy but for both of them? Is your DH supporting you? How much sleep ARE you getting? My cousin successfully nursed her twins for 3 years but in those 1st months the three of them lived on the couch with that pillow. Her DH cooked and cared for the dogs (their other kids) and took the babies away when they slept. So it IS hard and it's ALOT. All she really did was ya know feed the kids. For months. So if you are doing anything else, at this point you are a rockstar.

Way too lazy for formula

I have a twin nursing pillow but I usually don't nurse them together anyway because they take so much attention/holding/positioning just to get one of them to stay latched on, or one won't latch on any way and then we have two crying hungry babies. If we stagger their feedings then at least we eliminate some of the crying. I definitely have tandem nursing as a long term goal, though and I do it when I meet with my LC. DH can't cook but we have a lot of food in the freezer either I put away when I was PG or people have given us. I do cook to use up our CSA veggies, though. I am sleeping between night time feedings when they are both sleeping, so maybe 4-5 hrs a night and then try to nap once maybe get another half hr then. DH goes back to work tomorrow after taking a week off when they were in NICU, went back to work their 2nd NICU week and then took off again when they were discharged so another 2 full weeks.

My mom is here - she came this afternoon to be here for the week and my in-laws are here next week. I just don't know how many baby cares I should pass off onto grandparents. I tell them to hold the babies all they want but I hesitate to have them do a lot of bottle feeding (and since our boys are intact I am really nervous about someone else changing diapers, even though I already told my mom not to retract and she is a nurse and said they were always taught to do that....and then comments on how much money urologists make off circumcising adult males). I know I need to spend time with my babies and keep up bonding with them, so I nurse attempt a few times a day and wear one of them while I"m not pumping, which is about hourly during the day and every 2-3 hrs at night.

This morning they were hungry before I pumped and I was full so I thought I'd nurse the one but he wouldn't even open his mouth to latch on so I just got frustrated for about 5 min. and then later today latched on but got no milk. My littler boy got 6 ccs and 16 ccs for his two sessions so far today. I count it a mild success because his eyes were open and he was sucking and swallowing but I admit I was hoping he had gotten more milk because of all the swallows I heard.

I got them both tandem nursing without anyone helping me get them positioned or anything! I had to use a nipple shield for one of them to stay latched and they only got 12 ccs each but this was my first time getting them both on tandem without anyone handing me a baby or helping me position them.