Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Weaning anyone?

Default Baby Led Weaning anyone?

Does anyone do BLW? What foods did u start with? Is BLW more advisable than pureeing everything?

Thanks x

Default Re: Baby Led Weaning anyone?

yep, lots of us here do it and like it and think it's better than puree. there are a bunch of really great threads on it if you do a search, then come back and ask us specific questions!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Not only is BLW more advisable, it's also about a million times easier than feeding purées.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I love BLW! I personally started with avocado--lots of healthy nutrients and fats, and baby-friendly texture and consistency. My 9 month old eats all sorts of things now, even with only two teeth! Veggies, fruits, eggs, meats, steel cut oats, yogurt...the list goes on.

Excellent! Will have a search. I can't wait to start. My LO is only 4.5 months so still seems ages away but like to be well informed :-) x

I love it. Personally I got the book and used those suggestions. I think we started with things like thin 'fingers' of soft ripe pear and cooked carrot and 'toast soldiers' she could hold in her fist and chomp (I personally do not have gluten worries in my family) plain Ricecakes were an early favorite as well... she really more or less played with the food at first, which was fine with me. We started at 7 months and it was about two months or so before she was really eating much, now she has the hang of pincher grip so can eat anything so for the past couple of months its been pretty much exactly what the reat of us eat, cut to size as needed. She also is a toothless wonder-at 12 months has 3.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Not only is BLW more advisable, it's also about a million times easier than feeding purées.
    It is for sure easier! I tried purees the other day and it was a huge pain in my butt disaster and surprisingly more messy than baby led. I looked at my husband and said "I'm so glad we didn't go this route" and he nodded his agreement.

We started with toast fingers (no wheat concerns here either) and it's still a favorite because they are so easy to hold and maneuver. French toast in the same train of thought (no egg concerns), sweet potato, avocado, and banana were among our first.

We started at six months and have been very very lazy about offering because he's often asleep at meal time. He's 8 months and we've also given baby corn, carrot, chicken, pork, green beans, broccoli, lemon, orange, red velvet cake (what a mess), ice cream, pancakes, eggs, and potato wedges. I'm not saying he ate much of these things, but he at least gummed on them for a second. He's a big fan of strongly flavored things. The cake/ice cream was just a special occasion bite.

avocado, banana, black beans, potatoes, etc...anything that is soft and can be mushed in the mouth without the need for chewing.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

one of our first was a broccoli floret in whatever sauce we were eating - he'd suck on it for a long time - and meat on the bone.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I love it. Personally I got the book and used those suggestions. I think we started with things like thin 'fingers' of soft ripe pear and cooked carrot and 'toast soldiers' she could hold in her fist and chomp (I personally do not have gluten worries in my family) plain Ricecakes were an early favorite as well... she really more or less played with the food at first, which was fine with me. We started at 7 months and it was about two months or so before she was really eating much, now she has the hang of pincher grip so can eat anything so for the past couple of months its been pretty much exactly what the reat of us eat, cut to size as needed. She also is a toothless wonder-at 12 months has 3.
    What book was that? X