Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Now she wants a bottle???

Default Now she wants a bottle???

Hi Mamas, I feel like it's been a while but that's all to say BF'ing my 16 month old has been pretty smooth. She started daycare in July and definitely upped what was already a high frequency. I think it's been a great way of getting her through the transition and we're both pretty happy with it. It also got her through her first daycare cold, which we're extremely lucky was her first real cold ever. Gotta love those mama antibodies!

But, she's now taken to wanting a bottle at home. We've always had one in her play kitchen and she never really noticed it. Now, she screams for the bottle and mimics drinking from it. She wants to hold it while we read stories and also runs around with it. She treats it like a fluffy lovey when it's a cold empty 6-ounce bottle. I've never filled it with water and she's never really asked to drink from it. She more or less chews rather than sucks the nipple.

Would you just chock this up to her watching kids at daycare take bottles? Or would you ask the provider if she does take a bottle? I've asked that she be given drinks in a straw cup I brought in but I never specified not to give her a bottle. I'll probably ask today but I guess I'm just more curious about whether or not some kind of peer pressure is already at work?
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: Now she wants a bottle???

I wouldn't say that it's peer pressure. More like peer example, IYKWIM.

In my experience, it's pretty normal for breastfed kids to suddenly discover bottles and have a rather passionate but generally quite brief love affair with them. When my first daughter was around 18 months old, she found an old bottle in a giveaway box and started wanting to drink from it even though she hadn't had a bottle since she was 3 months old. And I have some pictures of myself at age 2, running around with a bottle which I had borrowed from my visiting cousin, who was also 2 and still very much in love with his bottle. I had never even seen a bottle before that point!

Definitely ask your DCP about bottle use, though. You never know!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm curious if she has been given a bottle but i agree with mommal, it sounds like mimicry. Which is truly fascinating, if you think about it. How early the social conditioning can begin!

She treats it like a fluffy lovey when it's a cold empty 6-ounce bottle.
    lol! My 12 month old daughter's 'lovey' these days is one of her brother's hot wheel cars.

Thanks! I'm inclined to think mimicry too, especially as she chews on the nipple. Also, she's now taken to nursing while holding the bottle. She'll tweak that nipple instead of mine, which is kind of a relief.

It really is fascinating to think about how much they observe and test. Yesterday she wanted to pick and put on her bib. We have blue and red bibs and bibs with cars. She would only wear the purple bib with butterflies -- our only girly bib. Maybe she just wanted it because it was the only like that rather than because it was specifically girly. But it was a good reminder that someday in the not too far off future, we will have to contend with princess-stuff. Sigh.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.