Re: Weaning at 12 mo
congrats on making it a year! just a couple random thoughts, nothing systematic here -
- i think weaning goes best when it's very gradual, over a period of months rather than days. if you can do that, thing's be a lot easier on baby and on you (don't forget there's a major hormone shift when you wean, in addition to needing to reduce your supply in a controlled/gradual way so you don't get plugs or mastitis)
- the sleep issues may well be totally independent of the weaning. don't expect weaning to solve the napping problem
- crying is not inevitable when weaning, especially if done gradually, wiht a lot of distraction & replacement.
- what's that book that LLL recommends? How Weaning Happens? I recommend it highly. it has different sections for different age babies.
- nursing condtinues to be really good for nutrition and as a parenting tool for the 2nd year, so you may find that if you're able to get the nursing down to an amount that seems reasonable to you, you will end up feeling ok about continuing. i am sure glad that i did. (i weaned ds from about 20-24 months).
Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.