Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning but won't drink cow's milk and picky eater

Default Weaning but won't drink cow's milk and picky eater

Forgive me, I haven't posted here in a while.

I hope this is in the right place.

My almost 3 year old DD is self weaning (and I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant so my milk has dried up I'm sure). I have always heard that if a child nurses at least 4 times a day, they do not need to drink cow's milk. I have tried offering DD milk in a variety of ways since becoming pregnant, but she refuses to even try it. Although this doesn't surprise me too much because she is an extremely picky eater (refuses to try many things), I am concerned that she is not getting the nutrients she needs now that I have no milk/she is weaning. I'm at a loss as for what to do. Also, is it ok to let her wean? Does anyone have any experience in this area or how to get a little one to try new things? Thanks so much in advance!

Just wanted to add, I did post this on another forum a few weeks ago but do not feel my question was answered (though the ladies did have some wonderful ideas on different ways to incorporate various foods in her diet).
    DD-8/17/10

made it to my goal of 1 year!! ...and still going strong

Default Re: Weaning but won't drink cow's milk and picky eater

It is fine to allow a child to self-wean. Ideal, in many respects! But if you want to keep the nursing relationship going, you can continue to offer. No guarantees, of course. Your LO really may have outgrown her need to nurse.

I would discuss your daughter's diet with your pediatrician. They can probably give you exact guidance on how much "dairy" a 3 year-old needs. Guidelines vary by age and by doctor. If your LO won't drink cow's milk, you can get dairy into her in other ways. Cheese and yogurt are often more popular than cow's milk.

Getting a kid to try new things is tough. It's normal and self-protective for toddlers to be picky. If they weren't, if they were as indiscriminate about what they put in their mouths as a baby is, they would likely poison themselves! You cannot MAKE your kid eat. All you can do is to continue to put a variety of healthy choices in front of her, and wait for her to take advantage of them. Making your kid's food cute can help- serve it in cute cups or in little nibble-sized containers (e.g. an ice cube tray). Make a caterpillar out of vegetables, with olives or blueberries for eyes. Make a cottage cheese rabbit with carrot sticks for ears, raisins for eyes, and pineapple teeth. And serve veggies with dips, since kids love to dip! My kids will eat large amounts of veggies when they are served with (ew ew ew!) ranch dressing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! What great suggestions! And I never even considered other forms of dairy. DD loves cheese and yogurt and eats them all the time. So that is an acceptable substitution for cow's milk?
    DD-8/17/10

Whole milk yogurt and cheese are a fine substitute for milk. Discuss appropriate amounts with your pediatrician.

There's actually no real need for a child to consume animal milk, because everything that a child needs in animal milk can be obtained from other foods. Dairy just happens to be a convenient source of calcium and fat that is favored by cultures that are historically dairy farming ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just note that lots of yogurts are high sugar. And lots of cheeses are high salt.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Thank you!
    DD-8/17/10

You can always find whole organic yogurt with zero sugar (we use Nancy's here in Oregon). It's pretty bitter. Then there's always making your own - not that hard and a fun project with a child!

my little guy is so picky. its making me nuts. all you can do is keep trying. great suggestions mommal! i am going to try to make things cuter

I have friends who are vegan, as well as their 4 yr old, and he's perfectly healthy so no pressure although dairy is a great source of calcium which is necessary for bone building. I agree with the cheese or other forms of dairy. We make yogurt, if you look up Alton Brown's recipe for homemade yogurt, that's been my most successful version.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I have friends who are vegan, as well as their 4 yr old, and he's perfectly healthy so no pressure although dairy is a great source of calcium which is necessary for bone building. I agree with the cheese or other forms of dairy. We make yogurt, if you look up Alton Brown's recipe for homemade yogurt, that's been my most successful version.
    If you aren't doing Dairy Coconut milk/yogurt is my go to for calcium.

Way too lazy for formula