Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tongue tie help pls

Default Re: tongue tie help pls

One thing you have to learn as a mom- and it doesn't matter whether you breastfeed or formula-feed!- is to not judge your success as the mom of a new baby solely by how "content" that baby is. New babies are fussy, fussy, FUSSY creatures! Fussiness is just normal for them. It's not an indication of you doing something wrong, or your milk being somehow "bad" for the baby.

If your baby is gaining weight well from nursing alone, then you are doing everything right, no matter if that baby is a 24/7 fusspot.

Fast letdowns can increase a baby's fussiness, because when a fast and heavy letdown begins, it's like the baby is drinking from a hose that has suddenly turned on full blast. Often fussiness comes just a minute or two into the feeding, around the time baby gets the first letdown or gets so full that he's not interested in continuing to eat. The first thing to try is to adopt reclined feeding positions, since reclining enlists gravity to slow the milk flow to the baby and make feeding more comfortable.

Block feeding is something you want to do only if you are sure that you have oversupply. If you can share some of what you're experiencing- in terms of engorgement, feelings of fullness, how strongly you feel/see letdowns (you might see milk squirt/stream from the breast when baby pulls off), whether or not you're pumping and how much milk you get if you do- we can help you figure out whether or not oversupply is part of the issue for you, and whether or not block feeding is a good idea.

When it comes to weight gain, there's no such thing as "too big" when it comes to a breastfed baby. Breastfed babies can't be overfed because they learn to read their own satiation cues and stop the feeding whenever they feel full. But they do demonstrate a very different pattern of weight gain from formula-fed babies. Formula-fed babies tend to gain weight rather slowly at first, and then increase their rate of weight gain as time goes on. Breastfed babies tend to gain weight very quickly at first- as much as a pound a week is not uncommon!- and then slow down as they get older. Both formula-fed and breastfed babies tend to reach their first birthdays at around the same weight (statistically speaking), but the formula-fed babies are the ones who have a lifelong increased risk of becoming obese.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dannysmum View Post
    If I have got forceful letdown what do you think I should do. I tried block feeding before as I wondered about it so only feed off one but I do now alternate each feed. If I'm honest I'm in a bit of a mess with feeding now. I am however going to a BF support group on Friday and have health visitor coming Thurs and could go back to the LC again privately x
    Are you able to link to the articles in my first post? They pretty much cover the issue of ffld and overproduction and suggestions for how to approach these concerns.

For me I found these things the most helpful-

Frequent nursing sessions, nursing one side at a time, nursing baby in a more "laid back" aka "uphill" positioning. (mom leaning back-let me know if you want more info- And, If baby tends to pull off the breast, letting milk flow into a cloth and then putting baby back on after that initial rush can help as well.

Time fixes overproduction in most cases, however, sometimes block nursing is appropriate. It depends!

I am glad you are going to a bf support group and have an IBCLC in your corner. As much as you can, make connections with breastfeeding supportive friends and family (or even strangers!) it's HARD to take care of a newborn-doing it without your husband around is really tough. As much as you can, ask for help. Supportive help. Folks who are telling you your precious healthy baby is 'too big' must not know (or have forgotten) that healthy babies come in all sizes.

If your baby had tt, then treating it was appropriate even if you do not have the typical tt concerns of poor weight gain and latch pain. Because tt can cause breastfeeding (and other) issues down the road.

The concern I am having is whether the clip will fix all the issues you are having. It may not. Many of the issues you describe are either normal and will clear up over time anyway or may be forceful letdown or overproduction related. But I promise none of them indicate formula would be better. Not even close. Even if formula led to a less fussy baby now (an iffy proposition, but possible if the issue IS forceful letdown-but remember, this is only a temporary issue that is fixed NOT by stopping breastfeeding but by helping baby handle the flow and by your milk production reducing), but even if it did, choosing formula and bottlefeeding over breastfeeding leads to a less healthy lifetime for your child. This is borne out by study after study.

Really. That is how high the stakes are.
    Here is a simple and brief side by side comparison of breastfeeding and formula feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tgoodsense.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 13th, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks and sorry for delay. Been a bit hectic. I only mentioned ff as I thought the tt may have been causing him to not feed properly, making him fussy, and that perhaps he wouldn't learn to do it properly. But you are right and I really want to keep bf. My original goal was 3 mths, now I'm aiming for 6 so I will keep focused. I have read the other articles so thank u it all helps. Like you say a lot of the fussiness will pass in time. I suppose with it being my first I lost my confidence and started to doubt myself. I will continue and keep getting support and I am sure it will get easier. I have noted an improvement past 3 days in his sleep which has been brilliant. Thanks for all your help x

We all have doubts dannysmum, it comes with the territory! It is hard to be a confident mom with so many opinons flying around. I suggest, trust your instincts and follow your heart and you will do fine.

after i gave birth my child, the nurses saw her to have a TT.i never understood it at first.before we were discharge from the hospital the pedia gave us referral for surgery.we were so worried that it might cause her pain, me and my hubby had decided not to bring her again to the hospital not until one of our church mate, a nurse told us that it might affect her speech later.now she's 6 weeks old and have an appointment on Aug.28 for tongue clipping.
    she's EBF and no trouble latching on me but when i let her feed my expressed milk in bottle, she's easily got choke. i hope it will improve after the procedure.
    she is growing well and healthy(gaining weight and height) so i never worried about not getting enough milk from me due to her TT.