Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipples feeling raw...what to do

Default Nipples feeling raw...what to do

I'm writing for a good friend whose bay is a week old, since she doens't have time to get online.

She's says the baby has been latching well, and feeding every two hours, but that her nipples feel raw...is this normal in the beginning?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Nipples feeling raw...what to do

This is absolutely normal, but it will get better! Is she using lanolin on her nipples? Here are a couple LLL sites on nipple soreness:

How do I prevent sore nipples?
    Healing sore nipples

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

No, not necessarily normal. If her nipples are feeling damaged at all, then she should have the latch checked! She can click the link in my signature to find a LLL Leader to help her.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    No, not necessarily normal. If her nipples are feeling damaged at all, then she should have the latch checked! She can click the link in my signature to find a LLL Leader to help her.

Jen
    Yeah she's using lanolin. I've forwarded her info. on the leaders by her area and sent her pics from kellymom on what a good latch looks like.

However, I would suspect that most women feel some tenderness in their nipples even with a good latch in the beginning. No?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

my nipples were tender for the forst week or so - but they never cracked or bled. I think tenderness is normal - i know my nipples have never been through this before so they HAD totoughen up!

I never had latch problems (about the only nursing problem I didn't have) and I still had sore nipples. Sore, not damaged...and the lanolin should help them to stay soft and moist and not crack. But now, I can barely feel her nursing!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

As a mother of three (breast fed them all), I recommend that she first consult a lactation consultant. If the latch is appropriate, there ARE some mothers that have extremely sensitive skin, such as myself, which results in a lot of soreness and chapped nipples for the first few weeks, even though the latch is correct. Lanolin does help, as does letting air get to them as much as possible. This does subside within a couple of weeks once the nipples become accustomed to the sucking. You are a great friend for helping her through this time!

However, I would suspect that most women feel some tenderness in their nipples even with a good latch in the beginning. No?
    Tenderness, yes. Rawness? No, probably not. Raw indicates that the nipples are being chafed, probably by the tip of the baby's tongue (because the latch is too shallow). If she's still having this problem, she definitely needs to get a Leader or an IBCLC to check her latch.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!