Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing to start solids

Default Preparing to start solids

Hello ladies!

My L.O. is 5 months old with [very] healthy weight gain and normal diapers. I'm sticking to my guns despite all of the unwanted suggestions and not starting any solids until she is 6 months old.

She is strictly on breast milk and I prefer to nurse instead of using a bottle but that has presented its own set of challenges. While out and about, there is too much going on and she gets distracted. She definitely won't eat under a cover and she will hardly take a bottle. (Any suggestions on that?)

I'm starting to prepare so I can introduce some solids into her diet. I've decided to make her food and started to make some so it will be ready when we reach 6 months. I am curious about what to do about nursing when I introduce the solids. I've read to nurse for a short time then try baby cereal? I think mornings will be best for her as she already sleeps through the night and shes usually in the best mood in the mornings. My plan was to wake up and pump (my flow is very heavy and she tends to choke if I dont pump a little before feeding her in the mornings) then nurse her for a few minutes then try the cereal? Does that sound like a good plan?

I plan on nursing for at least 8 months though I'd like to go longer if possible. I dont want introducing solids to effect my supply poorly but I've been told that this is when you start weening. So what do I do? Do I pump when she eats solids or do I just let it go so my supply will decrease? She will start with solids once a day so I'm not so much concerned about the beginning as I am for later when shes eating solids more than once a day.

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!

Default Re: Preparing to start solids

I can give you my experience only.
    1. My baby wasn't interested in solids really till about 9 months
    2. I make all her food but no cereal or grains. Babies can't digest them although you can soak oats and research other ways to do that type of food.
    3. Her solids intake got really good at 11/12 months. Now almost at 13 months my supply hasn't dipped at all.
    I nurse morning, evening and overnight mon - fri and pump during the day at work. On weekends I nurse. Solids are offered after or with milk or in between. Although milk is her hydration so a little after as well.
    4. When baby was born I thought weaning was a planned event. Now I realize that nursing is the cure for teething pain, tired cranky baby, baby who needs closeness and comforting etc. weaning is a nice thought, I can't even fathom it right now. Life would be so much harder without that magic boob tool in my tool kit. I guess some babies lose interest and that's a different story. Not mine!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

She is strictly on breast milk and I prefer to nurse instead of using a bottle but that has presented its own set of challenges. While out and about, there is too much going on and she gets distracted. She definitely won't eat under a cover and she will hardly take a bottle. (Any suggestions on that?)
    Don't use a cover...? I think that at 5-6 months, you can just let your LO be. If she doesn't nurse well in public, you either retreat to a private place or you let her wait to eat until she gets hungry enough or gets home. Don't bother trying to force the issue with bottles or nursing covers. She's old enough that a few skipped feedings or a light feeding isn't going to be a big problem.

I've decided to make her food and started to make some so it will be ready when we reach 6 months
    IMHO, don't put too much effort into this project. A lot of your baby's first solids may end up spat out, batted away, or splattered on the floor. It's often easier to simply steam a small portion of what you're eating, mash it up, and let the baby convey it into her own mouth, than to spend a lot of time pureeing and storing.

I am curious about what to do about nursing when I introduce the solids. I've read to nurse for a short time then try baby cereal?
    The rule for solids in the first year is "Until one, just for fun". That means that until a year, you nurse first and then offer solids shortly thereafter. That way baby fills up on your milk, leaving solids for play. Until around a year, breastmilk alone meets all your baby's nutritional needs (yes, ALL!), and solids should be reserved for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. Remember that when your baby refuses to open your mouth, or bats the spoon away, or prefers to explore the solids with her hands rather than put them in her mouth- the "fun" part of solids is what is important in the first year. The eating part really doesn't become important until the second year.

I think mornings will be best for her as she already sleeps through the night and shes usually in the best mood in the mornings. My plan was to wake up and pump (my flow is very heavy and she tends to choke if I dont pump a little before feeding her in the mornings) then nurse her for a few minutes then try the cereal? Does that sound like a good plan?
    Sure, with the exception of the cereal part... A lot of moms skip cereal altogether. Cereals are often recommended as a first food because they are bland, cheap, and can be fortified with vitamins and minerals. But breastfed babies are often adventurous eaters who aren't afraid of bold flavors, so they don't need bland food. And while cereals are cheap, they are also heavily processed and are generally nothing more than pure starch- not the healthiest food to feed anyone! If you're concerned about vitamins and minerals, you can always start with fruits, veggies, or meats, or offer your baby a dropper-full of baby vitamins.

I plan on nursing for at least 8 months though I'd like to go longer if possible. I dont want introducing solids to effect my supply poorly but I've been told that this is when you start weening.
    Weaning does begin when solids are introduced. But think of weaning as a long, long process, one that may take years to complete! If you nurse before offering solids, keep the portions of solids you offer appropriate (no more than a few teaspoons of food, to start), offer solids only 1x per day to start, and continue to offer to nurse on demand or even more often than your baby demands, introducing solids will have little effect on your milk supply. As time goes on, and your baby naturally begins to transition to eating more solids and nursing less- something which generally happens in the 2nd year- your milk supply will slowly decrease.

Nursing to 8 months is a great goal. If you want to go longer than that, I am sure you can!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Tips for keeping solids from causing breastfeeding issues- You are on the right track-starting solids slowly. Once a day is fine but even less frequently would be fine. Nurse prior to any meals, and offer after as well. As long as baby is nursing a normal amount, you can probably avoid any liquids at meals but if you offer any, keep it to just tiny amounts of water. Continue to nurse on cue as much as baby wants, and offer solids only at your own mealtimes (but not every meal, start slow.) Don't push your child to eat, this is a time for experimentation.

I have introduced three kids to solids, and each experience was very different.

With the oldest, I started him on purees, (both homemade and jars) & rice cereal at 5.5 months. He liked being spoon fed, and the only issues I had was
    1) he got constipated from the cereal
    2) I was very upset if I worked hard preparing some fancy baby food concoction and he would not eat it. Once my husband took pity on me and ate this horrid bland baby chicken stew I had made!

What I learned- too much iron is constipating and to keep anything I prepared as simple and easy as possible. And that I have a very supportive husband!

With my next child, I started introducing purées and mashed foods at 7 months. He completely rejected everything for months. He only started really eating anything but just the barest amounts when he could pick the food up and totally feed himself, say, around a year, and only started eating much of anything at about 14 months.

What I learned- that there is no need to worry if a healthy breastfed baby is not eating much of anything and that kids can be really different.

With my third child, I skipped purees and mashed foods entirely. I did what is called baby led weaning aka baby led solids.

I started offering her soft but not mushy foods (steamed or baked carrot, ripe pear) in thin spears she could hold in her fist and chomp at about 7 months. I also just gave her stuff I thought she could handle from my plate. If something was mashed anyway (like mashed potato) she would eat it off my finger. (spoons just went on the floor)
    I never worried about how much she ate. She loved sitting at the table with us and playing with what she was offered. After about 2-3 months she was eating quite a bit, she is now 12 months and 'eats' 3 times a day at our meals. But how much she takes in each time varies quite a bit.

What I learned- Although we went through about a month of (unfounded) fear about choking, ultimately I really love introducing solids this way. I could just sit and eat at meals, rather than spend them feeding baby (or coaxing baby to eat.) She mostly ate what we ate, so prep was a breeze. I found it way easier, and much more natural. This is it for me.

What I did with all three kids-kept nursing baby a lot. Solids did not take the place of nursing for a looong time. Breastmilk continued to be by far the primary source of nutrition for my kids well into toddlerhood, and my two oldest nursed for many years. (my baby is still nursing.)

All three of my kids are very healthy and none have any eating or food issues.

It sounds as if you have overproduction or forceful letdown? Besides the pumping prior to nursing, what else have you tried for alleviating that?

books I suggest –

Baby Led Weaning (it’s about introducing solids, not stopping nursing)
    My Child Won’t Eat (really, really great especially if you have doubters in your life)
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 8th edition - has a good chapter on introducing solids and great tips for keeping breastfeeding going for as long as you and your baby prefer.