Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: which nursing to wean 1st?

Default which nursing to wean 1st?

hello,
    my daughter is 11.5 mo (boy how time flies!) and I wish to wean her...Please no judgement...it's a personal decision and I am so proud of myself that I've made it this far! My goal was to make it to 12mo and I will get there and then some

this is the hx:

I've already weaned one nursing and supplemented it w/ formula about 2 weeks ago. this was a "easy" one to wean since I work for 5 hrs, 3 days a week so that nursing/pumping session was dropped.

She eats solids 3Xs a day. she has a good appetite for them unless she's teething..I have to coax her during these times.

She nurses at:
    9am
    1pm
    5pm--is replaced w/ formula now
    8pm-->nurse her to sleep
    5am

sometimes she may get an extra feeding, but honestly, if I try too frequently she refuses/has a fit! I feed her before she gets fussy 99.9% of the time.

she's in th 5-15%le (always was) but gaining well, and a clever little girl (hitting all milestones)

my question: which nursing do I try to replace w/ formula now? the 5am one? she usually doesn't really love the bottle...unless she is REALLY hungry...so I wonder at night (5am) that's the easiest one since she seems hungry then? also my hubby will be off work in a week for maybe a week so he can feed her those ones? the only reservation is that its a "bother" to get a bottle ready for her at night.

what are your opinions? I plan to replace a feeding every 2 weeks or so. and probably keep the 8pm feeding in there for a few months. my only concern tho' is she is good at nursing when she actually wants to nurse and not so good w/ the bottle (plays around/sloppy)...

thanks in advance!

Default Re: which nursing to wean 1st?

Hi mama, congrats on 11.5 months of nursing! That's great!

So, one question I have is, why wean to formula at this point? At a year, baby can transition from breastmilk to cow's or goat's milk (or other dairy, like yogurt or cheese), without the need for formula. Since you're only two weeks away, it seems like it would be easiest to continue with your current schedule, with formula for when you're at work; then gradually drop additional sessions and adding in animal's milk with meals or snacks, or yogurt/cheese as part of meals or snacks, or some combination of the above. And if you like you can use a cup (which can be a sippy cup for less mess), rather than a bottle - again since baby is not attached to the bottle, I don't see the point of making her get used to it now, when you will just have to get her off of it again soon (personally I start the bottle elimination process at a year, some delay for a bit longer).

Anyway, in terms of which session to wean first, I suggest, whichever baby is least attached to and which you are not fond of either. I agree, why eliminate the 5 am feeding if it is easy and convenient to nurse at that time? Similarly the nurse to sleep session is often a late one to go, because it is so comforting for baby, and easy and convenient for mom. So I'd probably start with the daytime sessions - for example, 9 am or 1 pm - since those are close to mealtimes anyway; you can offer solid foods with a drink of cow's milk instead, for example. And your plan of going slowly, dropping a session every couple weeks, is great - weaning is easier on mother and baby when it goes slowly! Also, if you do choose to hold onto the 5 am or the 8 pm feeding for many months (or longer) to come - that's perfectly fine too. Nursing doesn't have to be all or none.

I actually started weaning at the same age and it was super easy. However, as many doctors recommend removing bottles by the age of one, I actually weaned her straight to a sippy cup/straw cup. I would just offer milk throughout the day. At first she didn't like it much so I added some strawberry flavoring.. I then reduced the amount of strawberry gradually until she would happily drink the milk. I would eliminate a feeding and just offer her a sippy straw cup. It worked well, she never once asked for the breast.

I kept the night nursing session until my supply got too low and she went on a nursing strike. It was then that we started having troubles and I did decide to offer her a bottle at night before bed only. During the day, as I mentioned, only sippy cups or straws.

Also, regarding the formula, I actually also decided to use formula until around the age of 1.5. Many people say that after 1 year old you can go straight to cow-milk, which is true, but formula still offers better nutrition for now. My pediatritian reccomended formula until the age of 1.5. There is no harm either way, personal choice.

I am now starting to pass my daughter to special cow milk ( live in Spain) made for one + year olds (it is fortified with more vitamins, etc) . It was pretty easy, I just started using it for her cereal and then eventually in a cup and voila. She is not very picky so I am quite lucky.

Anyways, I would start by eliminated the not-as-special nursing sessions and leave the special ones LIttle by little your supply will dry up until there is not enough for her to "want you" any more (this is what happened to me).

No hurries!

Good luck

hi Ladies, thanks for the insight. I guess I was a little worried that if I eliminate another day session (to formula) she may increase her night-time feeding. But I guess I shouldn't stress that she wakes to nurse at 5am? (she goes to bed at 8pm and wakes around 8am give or take an hr either way) I was wondering if I should try and wean her off that 5am session altho' a part of me thinks a 12 hr stretch of no fluid is long...(this should be posted in another forum)....

anyways regarding formula vs. cow's milk--> my mom/sister were encouraging me to go on formula for when she's 1 to 2 yrs for the added vitamins/omega 3s etc. she likes her yogourt and cheese already as well

ok, I'll try the sippy cup...in the past she never went for it...she wont even take water really...

thanks again...and I agree--no hurry

I don't think switching from breastmilk to formula during the day will necessarily increase her night-time feeding, although I suppose you don't know until you try.

Here's some information about "follow-up" formula from the World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/...ost_17July.pdf

Personally I think I would keep the 5 am session for now. She is already giving you a very long stretch of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Personally I think I would keep the 5 am session for now. She is already giving you a very long stretch of sleep.
    Not to mention that getting up to make a bottle is more disruptive to your sleep than nursing. Don't let yourself get so caught up in the weaning goal that you forget to put your own convenience first.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"