Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore nipples!!

Default Sore nipples!!

I am suddenly having moderate nipple pain while breastfeeding my 14 month old. Is this normal and will it go away? Is it more likely to be something going on with my body or is it the way she is nursing? I have also been extremely tired for the past week so it occurred to me that I could be pregnant but I took a test and I am not. I havent had my period yet. Could that be on the way? It isn't the same kind of breast pain that I had when I was pregnant. It is more like the skin just on my nipples is raw and very tender. It only bothers me when she is nursing. It feels almost like when I was nursing her as a newborn before she had developd a good latch and before my nipples got used to all the action--just really uncomfortable. She has the same 6 teeth (and no more) that she's had for a couple of months now so I don't think it could be that. What gives? This is making breastfeeding fairly unpleasant for me.

Default Re: Sore nipples!!

In your shoes, I think I'd suspect my period coming soon. Or what about thrush? Or possibly baby is about to get some more teeth, so her mouth feels different, so she's latching a bit differently? I hope others will chime in, too. And I hope it gets better soon!

Period, thrush, or teething.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Could be a sign of ovulation. My nipples hurt during this time--feels almost like they're bruised. Lasts for a few days. Ugh...experiencing it right now.

agree with pps. One other possibilty is a need to change up positioning and/or to pay better attention to latch.

Bigger nursling usually requires different positioning so that child's body is not too 'curled up' leading to a tucked chin.

Thanks for all of your replies. Just when I was starting to feel like I was running out of patience, as suddenly as it started, it went away and I've been nursing much more comfortably since last night. I am glad you mentioned ovulation Andie because it made me remember that over the weekend I had what I had assumed was a digestion-related pain in my belly but now I am thinking it was ovulation. If it was, was much sharper and more intense than I have ever felt before but maybe that is to be expected given that I haven't ovulated in 2 years! Who knows. I would put money on having my period by the end of the month however. Ahhh I guess all good things must end. Anyway, glad that nipple pain is gone. Thanks again.