Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby resisting bottles after vacation

Default Baby resisting bottles after vacation

We've been back from vacation two weeks now and since coming back my son has been resistant about taking his bottles at daycare. I nurse him there before I leave, and send two 3oz bottles and one 2oz bottle of breast milk. He's there for about 9 hours.

He has always on rare occasions skipped that 3rd bottle, but in these last two weeks he's skipped it multiple times. He's also not finishing his first two bottles. One day he at two 2oz, and one 1oz as an example. Yesterday he ate 2oz, 2.5oz, and skipped the third bottle. Today he nursed at about 8:15 and then ate: 1oz (10:40am), 1.5oz (11:30am), 2oz (2:20pm), 1oz (3:20pm). And I picked him up at about 5:15 or 5:30.

I don't think it's an issue with his daycare. He is very happy there and they've always been great about recognizing his hunger signals and respecting our breastfeeding relationship. I suspect that after a full week off from bottles he's voicing his preference to breastfeed.

I realize this isn't an unusual phenomenon in a breast fed baby, but I'm still feeling furstrated/concerned. My guy is quite little. He was already tending toward being underweight so for me this reduced eating is worrying.

Will this most likely clear up on it's own? How long does it usually take? Before vacation he was eating his bottles while I was at just fine.

Default Re: Baby resisting bottles after vacation

Has baby recently started solids, or increased solid intake, or any liquids other than breastmilk?

Generally, It sounds as if baby is eating when offered, just not as much each time as before? (How much were typical feedings before?)

Also in the examples you gave, baby took in 4.5-5.5 ounces over an about 9 hour separation? ...No, not the suggested 1 ounce to a 1.5 ounce per hour of separation, but at least something.

I think there is a good chance this will clear up 'on its own.' Even out and out bottle refusal often does, and this does not sound like that situation. If they are already cue feeding, and nothing else has changed, (bottle, nipple, person who feeds baby...) then I am not sure what else they can do.

Maybe try a sippy cup? Some babies prefer that.

Since you are concerned about baby not getting enough overall, can you help baby make up any shortfall by encouraging lots of nursing overnight and on weekends?

No increase in solids. We do baby led weaning and are pretty lazy about offering solids at home, he doesn't get any solids at daycare. No liquid other than breastmilk. While we were on vacation I offered him a sippy with some water to start practicing and he just played with it some.

Sometimes he eats some of what is offered, and sometimes he refuses and they just offer to him again later. Before we went on vacation he was eating two 3oz bottles and one 2oz bottle. On a very rare occasion he'd skip the 2oz bottle, especially if I was earlyish picking him up.

He is currently takng on average somewhere around 4 to 5 ounces a day, which as you said is better than nothing. Today though was horrible, he refused the first time they offered and then he only took an ounce, and later another ounce, and later a third ounce. So all he had was 3oz while I was at work.

He is 7 months now and started at daycare at 3 months. If this had been an issue when we first started I wouldn't have been surprised, but croping up like this now has really taken me off guard.

Bottles and nipples are still the same. He did move to a "new" room and caregiver at the return from vacation. He moved from baby room 1 to baby room 2 because of his age and he's getting close to crawling. Baby room 2 isn't truly new to him, he usually spent the afternoons in there before vacation and ate just fine for her then.

I am for sure worried about weight because he was already tending toward being so small when he was eating well. He had not yet doubled his birth weight at his 6 month appointment. We nurse on demand at home and most nights/weekends it's every 2 to 3 hours.

I'll have to try the sippy cup again and see if he takes to it. I work this saturday so he'll be home with daddy and we can see how he does with a bottle with daddy at home. If he continues to not eat well I may see how he does with purees and spoon feeding and start allowing solids at daycare if he's willing to eat them. I would have them offer breastmilk first of course.

Yeah, high cal baby foods at day care might be the way to go if he is just not going to drink enough milk.

How is baby otherwise at day care? And does he seem to be nursing more when home? Basically, is he generally content? It's just weird. Healthy babies do not starve themselves. kwim? (BY which I am NOT suggesting he is starving, I am wondering if he is simply not needing more than he is taking right now for some reason.)

Is it a distractability thing? Baby wants to be on the go?

Wednesday and Thursday he ate a total of 6oz (2oz each feed) so I thought things were on the mend, but Friday he was right back to his 4oz total.

I don't think his at home nursing has increased, at least not drastically. Lately he eats twice in the middle of the night, I wake up at 6am and give him a dream feed, I top him off around 7:30 or 8am at daycare, and then he does whatever he does at daycare. Once I pick him up he usually nurses at 6pm, 8pm, 10pm and then I go to bed.

Friday night after not eating much at daycare he had that last feed at 10pm and didn't wake up until a little after 4am! And then I woke him up for the dream feed at 6am before going to work (I worked 6 days in a row this week). I didn't get home until 4:30 and he only ate two ounces while I was gone.

I feel like he is having fewer wet diapers during the day, but if he's making it up most nights it would be hard to tell because I don't do diaper changes at night.

Daycare says he isn't fussy and his usual full of smiles self. Whenever I pick him up there he's either drifted off in the swing or is in the middle of playing.

My husband watched him today so I asked how he behaves when refusing his bottle. He said that he clamps his mouth together and shakes his head. If milk does get in his mouth he sputters it out.

I think I'll call the pediatrician monday to check in on what is going on. We're working on the sippy cup this weekend to see if he can learn to take the sippy cup. I guess I may need to try and get him on solids at the daycare, though I was hoping to avoid spoon feeding. And high calorie solids suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vibrantnotions View Post
    Will this most likely clear up on it's own? How long does it usually take? Before vacation he was eating his bottles while I was at just fine.
    DS went through something similar when we went on vacation for a week when he was 9 months old, but it wasn't quite a severe. It's been a while, but I think he started taking 9 oz instead of 12. It took about 2 weeks, but it did just go away on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ngs215 View Post
    DS went through something similar when we went on vacation for a week when he was 9 months old, but it wasn't quite a severe. It's been a while, but I think he started taking 9 oz instead of 12. It took about 2 weeks, but it did just go away on its own.
    I'm so glad to hear it cleared up for your little guy! Babies can be so stubborn. We just finished our third week of this.

I keep stressing about this from a size point. I worry he won't have gained well at his 9 month and the doctor is going to make a big deal about it. So far my doctor has been great looking at the whole picture instead of just weight and I'm extremely thankful.

And maybe I shouldn't be so worried. He's a happy baby, he sleeps, he plays, he sits well on his own, he gets up on hands and knees and rocks back and forth, and his baby babbling has new constants every week it feels like. So all in all I guess the little guy is doing OK.

I joked with my husband that if he's decided bottles aren't his thing weaning him at daycare at a year probably won't be as hard as we thought. We plan to breastfeed until at least 2, but pump wean at 1.

Could it be a lipase thing? Or something similar affecting the taste of the milk in the bottles?
    It sounds like you are nursing 7x a day plus what he gets a daycare. If he is good at removing the milk maybe that's really all he needs.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    Could it be a lipase thing? Or something similar affecting the taste of the milk in the bottles?
    It sounds like you are nursing 7x a day plus what he gets a daycare. If he is good at removing the milk maybe that's really all he needs.
    I actually tasted the milk from his bottle last week on my way home from daycare just to see. It tasted just fine.

Hopefully he's getting everything he needs still. He ate much better today. A 2oz, 3oz, and then just 1 oz at 5pm. The 1oz was the caregivers doing. He was acting hungry but she knows I get there at 5:30 so she didn't want to fill him up with a full bottle.

WOW this is very similar to my 11-mo old. Post Labor Day vacation, he suddenly stopped taking his usual 16-oz over 3 bottles at daycare (dont' even get me started, he is HUGE at 27lbs and i tried to give less but he really did want more). So the DCP tried giving him milk out of a sippy cup and it worked! he drank down the whole cup. However, he will only now drink between 3 and 5 oz per meal out of his sippy/straw cup and is very inconsistent with it... so he is drinking less too. throughout this entire time (2-weeks) we finally determined that have the dreaded high lipase issue which is why he originally started refusing in the first place. So good news, i don't have to pump as much; bad news.. i have to scald it every night. [can't wait to pump wean!]. and, good news, he is already weaned from the bottle.

so, you may want to check for the lipase a bit more just to be safe. i asked daycare to 'hold' the bottle he refused so i could inspect it, and that's how i figured it out.

Also, my DS sometimes wants his milk cold, sometimes lukewarm, sometimes warm... he's become quite inconsistant on that... maybe try temperature change (some babies like it cold!).

my DS too is totally happy, healthy, sweet, sleeps pretty well. so honestly, i think it all comes down to teething. it's my go-to excuse for things i can't explain. LOL!

Hope some of this helps you figure it all out!!