Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting daycare for 3 hours -2 days/wk...haberman feeder?

Default Starting daycare for 3 hours -2 days/wk...haberman feeder?

Hello all, as my dd has now turned 3 months and 3 days i'm posting here. My baby will be going to daycare twice a week starting in September. I wanted her to start at 6 months but the policy is sept-july only as spots are very limited. I only wanted her to go once per week so that i could spend time with ds alone (as he has no school on weds) but they insisted twice per week so she gets used to them. it is a very good daycare (i am on the board) and my son started at 13 months 2 days a week (now he is 4yrs). I have no family at all in the country we live in and no one to help me out. Hence daycare for a few hours. My problem is that her latch is shallow and not perfect but she is gaining weight, and she eats every 1.5- 2.5hours(really depends) during the day, 1-2 times at night. I don't know how much milk to send and haven't ever given her a bottle yet. A friend recommended the habermann so that she must continue to work for the milk rather than a traditional bottle. Does anyone have any experience using it? I am so nervous sending her. Will i jeopardize our bfing? No one understands my hesitance because they all formula-feed as do almost all babies at daycare.

Default Re: Starting daycare for 3 hours -2 days/wk...haberman feede

you can simply use a bottle with a slow flow nipple and that is fine. you will not jeopardize your BF relationship, you just need to pump when she is getting a bottle and make sure the DCP does not over feed her. since they are used to babies that are FF they often do not understand how to feed a BF baby. specifically that BF babies use small amounts of milk, 3-4 oz.

is she going for two full days a week? You will need to pump often throughout the day and we can give you help with that.

you can start pumping in advance to simply get used to the process, try to do it after the first nursing. in the process you will save a little milk for the first day and also learn how to relax and respond to the pump.

i should have asked this first but do you have a pump?

Rule of thumb for how much milk to send is 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

While I have heard of it’s use for baby’s with serious sucking issues, I am not very familiar with the Haberman feeder, hopefully another mommy here is. You may also discuss this with an IBCLC...have you ever worked with an IBCLC on your baby's latch?

here is detailed info about the Haberman feeder, and it IS recommended for typical bottle use by “The Baby Whisperer” according to this. http://www.mandyhaberman.com/haberman-feeder

Your post says three hours-is that all the separation will be, at least initially? If so, I am not sure your baby needs be fed at day care at ALL if the initial separation is only going to be three hours each day, which is so short an amount of time it need not cause a cut back in how many times you nurse baby overall each day. If this is the amount aof time, but you do want baby fed something as needed at daycare, or want the daycare getting practice feeding baby, I would suggest send a smalll amount of milk, a couple ounces at most, for such a short separation.

as pp suggests, any bottle can be given in a more breastfeeding supportive way. So if for any reason the Haberman feeder turns out to not be needed or appropriate, there is this option : http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Agree with all of the above. Will also add that with your baby being 3 months old already, breastfeeding is well-established. While nothing is impossible, it strikes me as unlikely that occasional bottle feeding now will create any nipple confusion or preference at this point in your nursing relationship. It's not like baby is only a few weeks old and still learning.

I also will suggest that there are some bottle brands that are marketed as breastfeeding friendly, in that they are supposed to mimic the flow from the breast and are supposed to be less likely to cause bottle preference. I am not sure where you are located, but here (in the US) some of those brands are Breastflow, Tommee Tippee, and Calma ... and there are some kinda fancy ones out there too like Adiri and Mimijumi, with fancy price tags to go with them! (And there are probably others I am just not aware of). The features you would look for in those bottles are: a wide base to the nipple (as opposed to a long-skinny one -- so that they have to latch deeply at the bottle just as they do at the breast), low-flow/slow-flow nipple (even though all Stage 1 nipples are supposed to be slow-flow, some are faster than others, which you only find out from trial and error), and require active suckling from baby to flow (as opposed to just dribbling out on their own when you tip the bottle). Again I don't think the bottle choice is likely to derail your breastfeeding at this point, but a breastfeeding-friendly bottle design might just be more comfortable for baby, because the mechanics, volume and flow won't be as big of a departure from what she's used to.

Thank you so much for your replies. Dd will only be in daycare 3 hours Monday and 3 hours Wednesday. I will rent a pump as insurance covers it(probably the lactina).My worry is that she has a bad latch to begin with and she will need to nap there and she often only nurses before sleep not when she wakes.i offer 1st thing in the morning but she hardly eats. Sometimes i keep her latched onto me as she will nurse in her sleep. Is this wrong? How can i encourage her to eat when awake?