Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopping Nursing?

Default Stopping Nursing?

My doctor recently advised me to wean my daughter; her reasoning is that I can not nurse while taking my birth control Jolessa; she also indicated that Katie doesn't really need breastmilk anymore--opinions? I really don't wish to wean and my daughter doesn't seem ready. The only gripe I have right now is she uses me at night; we still co sleep and last night she used me as a paci! What can I do to at least stop pacifying?
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Default Re: Stopping Nursing?

I really don't wish to wean and my daughter doesn't seem ready.
    Then you have your answer. The idea that your milk is no longer "needed" by your daughter is…well. Debatable? I mean, I guess it depends on how you define “need.”

First off, breastfeeding is about much more than the milk, secondly, breastmilk is a healthy nutritional food for any age. Ask your doctor why the WHO and UNICEF both suggest nursing until at LEAST age two-why would they make such a recommendation if a child this age no longer “needs” breastmilk? NO child health organization of any repute suggests a specific age at which nursing should end or no longer has benefits. This is because the ideas that there is such an age is simply not backed by logic nor science.

I am sure you can choose a different birth control method that will work for you. If you have a question about a specific bc and it’s safety when nursing, I suggest call the folks at www.infantrisk.com they will have more on point information about meds and breastfeeding than what is typically offered by doctors.

I am sure many moms here will have ideas for you for baby nursing at night. But I would suggest that your daughter is not using you as a pacifier. Breasts are the original pacifiers in that nursing at her mother’s breast provides a child with needed comfort. So your child is simply doing what nature intended. Rather, a child who is sleeping alone and using a pacifier is using the pacifier as a substitute for the closeness and comfort of her mother's presence.

Moms who are nursing into toddlerhood and the preschool years should be supported by hcp's, not made to defend themselves. Increased duration of breastfeeding increases the health benefits to both child and mother according to many of the studies. And we have not even begun to really study the benefits of "normal length" nursing.

Have you ever read anthropologist Kathy Dettwyler's study on the natural age of weaning? http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html She estimates it to be somewhere between 2.5 and 7 years.

I also really like this short article about toddler nursing by Dr. Jack Newman. It counters many toddler nursing myths in his signature no nonsense style. He suggests children "usually" self wean somewhere between 2 and 4 years. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BT
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; August 7th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

I think your doctor has it backwards. Instead of "Wean your child so you can take a combination estrogen-progestin birth control pill", she probably meant to say "Don't take this combination pill so that you won't jeopardize your chances of nursing for as long as you and baby both want". Well, I hope that's what she meant to say, anyway... Because otherwise she's just plain wrong! And definitely exceeding the bounds of her knowledge about what your daughter NEEDS.

What are YOU looking for in a contraceptive? Do you want to maximize spontaneity? Reliability? Are you okay with barrier methods, i.e. can you use them correctly and consistently, or are you and your husband the sort of people who sometimes throw caution to the wind? What have you used in the past, and what have you liked? Do you want more children in the near future, or are you thinking of waiting several years before having another child, or are you done with having kids?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I truly appreciate the links Meg posted; the WHO certainly does have a different view of nursing from professionals here in the United States! I feel strongly about nursing my daughter as long as she wants and hadn't even thought of weaning her and those links you've posted just solidify my perspective. And to Mommal (love when you reply), I hadn't really thought about birth control; after the birth of my daughter two years ago, the doctor whom delivered her prescribed errin and instructed me to take it every day at the same time and all the things doctors say; she also said that breastfeeding is not a form of birth control therefore continue taking the medicine, la de daa, or I may become pregnant again; at the time, I said, well, I have another baby but maybe I'd like another. And my husband and I have even discussed that possibility again soon.

Which brings me to the next question: I'm looking for something very flexible, something that if I decide to conceive again, I may easily do so; I've been researching female condoms; thoughts?

Thanks
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

I've never tried a female condom myself. Planned Parenthood's take on them: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...ondom-4223.htm

If you want a method which is immediately reversible, barrier methods are a great choice! So: male condom, female condom, cervical cap, sponge, diaphragm, spermicide. Any of those catch your eye? Planned Parenthood has good data on reliability. You might also want to look into Fertility Awareness methods (FAM), which can help you pinpoint when you're ovulating and either avoid intercourse or be extra careful around that time of the month.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Very informative and I'd like to try; anyone have any experience with them?
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

If you're interested in fertility awareness/natural family planning, feel free to PM me.

Thanks I may message you.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11