Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still supply issues when pumping at work...

Default still supply issues when pumping at work...

Ok I have posted before about my supply issues that I have been having for the past month. But I think I have narrowed down what happened. This post might be long but i really need some help. I had to add formula to my daughters bottle today and i am really sad about it. as it is important to me that she is only getting my breast milk.

My DD was born 2/12/13 I had great supply borderline over supply. I have a VERY fast let down too. When I pump i get most my milk with in the first 3 mins. She nurses for 3-6 mins. and is done.

I went back to work full time 5/6/13 My DD was sleeping through the night. I nursed her at 7am before work. I pumped and she was fed a 4-5 oz bottle 10am - 1pm - 4pm. this was going PERFECTLY for all of may and the beginning of June. Then in June I was only getting 3 4oz bottles. and my daughter was seeming more and more hungry and starting waking at night to eat 1-2 times. By July I could no longer get 3 4oz bottles and she was getting a 4oz and 2 3.5oz bottles and she was waking twice every single night to eat and a couple times 3 times at night.
    At this point (END OF JULY) we introduced solids and I started pumping an extra time at 8am on my way to work in the car. We also started feeding her 4 times during the day. I am able to get 4 3oz bottles. This is ok for her. She seems good. but she is still waking 2 times per night to nurse.

I cannot seem to get anymore milk. Its like I now top out at 12 oz per day in 4 sessions. I used to get 13-15oz in 3 sessions. But that was when she wasnt nursing at night. She got 4 4.5oz bottles the other day when she got my freezer stash (when milk was flowing well) and she drank almost all of that. that is 18oz granted there was about 1-2 oz left over. (and I know babies will take more from a bottle than they will the breast because they don't have to work for it. but still it made me sad I can no longer give her 4.5oz bottles)

So I know she is doing ok on what I am producing and her nursing at night now twice to make up for the lack I now have during the day.

Can I go back to producing more during the day. Or is it just the way it is because of her night nursings?

I have tried lactation cookies. pills. more water. replacing pump parts all for 3 weeks and I just can't seem to produce more than 12oz. Sometimes I can't pump in the car on the way to work. like yesterday. and in that case I had to make up for the 2oz with a scoop of formula and 2oz water in her breastmilk bottle. so it was half BM and half Formula. My daugter will be 6 months old on Monday and just got formula for the 1st time. it breaks my heart. I so wanted to say she never needed formula and that I did it!

I should add at home when I do not work I nurse her on demand which ends up being every 2 hours and she seems perfectly full. she still wakes up twice at night now though.

Default Re: still supply issues when pumping at work...

How long are you at work and how much milk does baby get while at daycare? 12 oz sounds about right for an 8 hour workday, if you go by the 1.5 oz/hour of separation from mom rule.

It sounds like you're worried that night-nursing is the cause of reduced daytime supply- like maybe your baby's night nursing is "stealing" the milk you want to put in the bottles? If so, I really don't think you should blame the night-nursing for the drop in daytime supply. If anything, I think you should be glad your LO is night-nursing because that will improve your overall supply, and reduce your baby's need for milk from bottles during the day. The reason this is true is that your body has a pretty sensitive internal clock: it makes more milk when more is required, less when less is asked of it. And when a mom is at work, there's often no way for her to "ask" as much of her body as her baby would- and that's why those night feedings are vital. They keep her overall prolactin level higher than if baby was sleeping through.

If you continue to need to use formula, the best way to do it is to make seperate bottles. The storage guidelines for milk and formula are very different: unused breastmi can go back in the fridge, unused formula needs to go down the sink. So if you offer breastmilk first and formula second, and baby doesn't finish the second bottle, it's only formula that goes down the drain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You know I think I was overly worrying. I posted this in another forum, and i got a lot of responses. and I had NO idea how much my baby should eat. I was just going by what my sister was telling me. she was saying that my daughter would eat 16 oz. But I have been struggling to get 12oz. I seriously feel so much better! I don't think I am going to put formula in her bottle ever again. I think i am just going to give my daughter what I get. I will keep trying to pump 4 times while I am gone from her for 9.5 hours with driving times.

Then i will be glad if she makes up for it at night. I never looked at it that way.

I was just freaking out I couldnt get as much milk as I used to get when i had oversupply and my baby was gagging and choking at letdown because it was too much for her.

I think more than likely my body is now producing jsut enough.

This may help your caregiver not inadvertently overfeed, IF that is what is going on: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Just chiming in here to say that 12 oz pumping in a work day is a great output! Also, I don't think the nursing at night is necessarily related to how much she is eating during the day. I think that a lot of babies compensate for being separated from their mamas during the work day by wanting/needing to nurse more at night. I know when I went back to work, my baby (now 10 months old) began to wake up more frequently for nursing at night.

I went through a lot of stress trying to pump enough at work, so I can understand your worries. But 12 oz a day would have been really good for me. It sounds like you are doing great, and if you will be starting solids soon the pressure will ease up a bit. At least, it did for me! Good luck!

And a little more reassurance: waking twice at your daughters age is completely normal! Their tummies are little, milk digests quickly, they need a snuggle and reconnect with mommy, and so much more. I've found length of night sleep seems to cycle for my little one and the other moms I talk to. So much of their growth and development can cause sleep pattern changes.

You are doing great, and I'm glad you're feeling more secure!