Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden weaning and possible plugged duct

Default Sudden weaning and possible plugged duct

Hi everyone,
    A week ago I was forced to suddenly wean my 15 month old for medical reasons. The medication i am taking is not compatible with bf (i asked my doc, my sons pediatrician, and the infant risk center). There isnt any other medication and this is not something i can ignore. It has been an emotional struggle for both of us. I was feeling depressed and crying a lot. We have had a great breastfeeding experience and for it to stop so suddenly was heartbreaking, but my little guy is doing better with it now. The hardest part has been getting him to sleep without nursing, but my DH has taken over at night, which helps. Now that I seem to have my uncontrollable crying undercontrol, I have hard sections on my breasts that are painful. I have been expressing just enough to alleviate some fullness but its not better. Is this a plugged duct? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by @llli*smittenmom; August 6th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: Sudden weaning and possible plugged duct

This certainly could be a plugged duct. They are common when a mom weans abruptly.

Do you have a pump? If so, it probably makes sense to try emptying the breast using the pump. Heat, massage, and immersing the breast in warm water are also helpful. An electric toothbrush vibrating against the plugged areas can also get things flowing again.

Stay alert for signs of mastitis- increased pain, red streaks or patches on the skin of the breast, fever, aches and pains, and flulike symptoms. If you see any or many of those, continue to empty as much as possible and see your doctor for some antibiotics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tried pumping instead of hand expressing and the lump is gone now! I'm going off my medication Thursday and should be able to bf again Saturday night, but my milk is more clear then white now and I worried I'll confuse my LO by starting up again. This morning he just cried in my arms after asking for milk. there is a possibility I'll need more meds and have to stop all over again.

Don't worry- you will not confuse your LO by starting to nurse again! Babies and toddlers are flexible and forgiving when it comes to stuff like this. My mom had to wean my sister at 3 months (bad medical advice), and wasn't allowed to nurse her again until 6 months. At 6 months, my sister went back to the breast, brought my mom's milk back, and didn't look back until she was finally weaned at 18 months.

How high is the likelihood that you'd need more meds? And would you likely need them again soon, or would it be far off in the future?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I went ahead and put my LO to bed, he asked to nurse and I was happy to let him. He took two sucks and stopped. The few days since then he's asked a few times, but then immediately refuses. I guess he's weaned completely now. I miss bf but I'm glad this is on his terms now and I don't have to refuse. He is was more cuddly now, always giving lots og hugs, which I think is his way of getting the closeness we are both missing from nursing.