Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excessive spit up/choking

Default Excessive spit up/choking

Hi ladies. My second son is 5 weeks old and he is a happy spitter, for the most part. However, in the last few days he seems to be more bothered after feedings, does not want to be put down, and is spitting up excessive amounts after nursing.

Last night he scared the crap out of us, he was asleep in his Rock n Play (the elevation seems to help him) for about 2 hours, we were also sleeping, and he started choking and gasping for air. My husband picked him up and he vomited all over him. It was quite a lot, at least an ounce or two. After that he sounded really congested and was crying. He didn't want to nurse, so I just laid down with him in bed snuggled up to me and gave him a binkie. He fell back asleep.

Today he won't let me put him down at all, he seems to be in a lot of discomfort. I have tried laying him in an elevated manner (the swing, the bouncy seat) but he will not have it, just wants to lay on the boppy with me. He has not been spitting up today and has been nursing fine. His stomach/intestines are very rumbly and he has only had one mall poop in the last 12 hours.

Could he be reacting to some food that I am eating? I had spicy food on Saturday night, and pumped that night. Its been since then that he has been struggling with the spit up (my husband feeds him 3 oz at bed time each night of pumped milk). Its especially after the bottle that he seems in the most discomfort. We are going to switch to the breast flow bottle tonight to see if that helps.

Sorry for the wall o' text. Thanks for any advice!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Default Re: Excessive spit up/choking

It sounds like reflux. If it's not reflux, I would think forceful letdown except it is worse after a bottle which does not quite fit.

IN what position does a rock in play hold baby? If this is reflux, being in a "c' position, even with head above tummy, (as many babies are in a car seat, for example,) can exacerbate it.

would not blame spicy food although it may be remotely possible. But, really, how spicy are we taking? IN many cultures everyone regularly eats very spicy food and their babies are fine. Was this a level of spicyness you never normally eat? In any case, if that is what it was it would be unlikely to still be bothering baby when bby nurses.

Why are you doing a bottle? I would suggest no bottles for a little bit. It's possible three ounces all at once is just too much.

If you must do a nighttime bottle, I suggest use this feeding technique to slow flow and (possibly) prevent baby from taking more that baby needs at once. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

We have been doing a bottle since 3.5 weeks at night, I will be returning to work and we want him to be comfortable with it. This is the routine we did with our first son for about 5 months, also; father-son bonding time. I pump at this time and am usually able to get enough to put in my freezer stash and for the bottle the next night. Half the time baby only goes through about 2 or 2.5 ounces. Sometimes he will take the whole thing.

Our LC showed my husband how to bottle feed with our first son, the technique looks very similar to the one you linked (it takes my husband about half an hour to give him one bottle). I will send him this link just in case though, maybe he needs a refresher ^_~

We went with the RnP sleeper because it seems to keep him in the straightest position while also elevated (I agree, the swing and others seems to make him all scrunched up). We tried a wedge under the mattress, but he wouldn't sleep like that. We also tried propping him on his side on the flat crib mattress, but again, he didn't seem to like it.

If it is reflux, should we wait to see if it settles a bit on its own? Or if it continues to get worse? Does it tend to get worse as baby gets older? I thought it would improve as he developed physiologically and as my milk supply regulates.

The spicy food was much spicier than I usually eat. We had bought a salsa we'd never tried before and my husband put it all over my fajita. It was so spicy I couldn't even enjoy it, so that is why I wondered if that could be the culprit. The milk I pumped that night was fed to my son last night. I guess I am just really hoping its not reflux! Thanks for the info.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

I should explain that what sounded like reflux (to me) was baby choking on regurgitated milk several hours after feeding. I think this would have to keep happening to be a concern, not just once. Nothing else seemed unusual to me as 'happy' spit up usually is entirely normal even if it is alot.

If you are trying to get baby used to the bottle but the bottle is perhaps causing issues with choking or excess spitting up, I would suggest, stop the bottles for a few days and see if no bottles helps, (and take it from there) or your could give baby the bottle another time of day when you are going to be awake and able to hold baby upright for some time, post bottle. Or, what about give baby very SMALL bottle. (an ounce or so.) Getting baby used to a bottle does not require baby have an entire feeding with a bottle. Daddy can get lots of bonding time holding baby snuggled to him and upright post feedings, in a sling or just by holding baby while walking or sitting, something lots of babies prefer anyway as a sleep position and is particularly helpful when reflux is an issue.

This is my personal favorite article on reflux.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/par...-faq%E2%80%99s
    If your doctor suspects reflux your baby may be prescribed medication.