Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm ready to wean

Default Re: I think I'm ready to wean

It makes sense that if something is making things worse instead of better, it's probably not the right thing. However, I am pretty sure I don't want to cosleep indefinitely. So my gut tells me that the transition is going to be hard b/c it will likely be my choice and not hers. So am I better to just bite the bullet and do it now? I swear with each passing day she is smarter and more stubborn. I feel like its just going to get harder...
    Last night was no better. I gave her Motrin at 8 and put her in her crib (only after nursing her into a coma : ) and she was up at 11. So I went to her room and we slept in the big girl bed together the rest of the night. She woke up every two hours to nurse. I was just too tired to try to dissuade her and listen to her cry so I let her nurse. This morning I'm wiped out. I am sure I am confusing her. I just don't sleep well with her anymore. I'm happy to keep nursing her I just can't do it all night anymore. I'm just so tired!!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    How about at the 1 am feed? Since she's doing the frequent waking between 1 am and 6 am?
    Oh YEAH! DUH. Good call if you dose her here and it gets you at least 3 hours back then it's probably teeth!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tampamama View Post
    It makes sense that if something is making things worse instead of better, it's probably not the right thing. However, I am pretty sure I don't want to cosleep indefinitely. So my gut tells me that the transition is going to be hard b/c it will likely be my choice and not hers. So am I better to just bite the bullet and do it now? I swear with each passing day she is smarter and more stubborn. I feel like its just going to get harder...
    Last night was no better. I gave her Motrin at 8 and put her in her crib (only after nursing her into a coma : ) and she was up at 11. So I went to her room and we slept in the big girl bed together the rest of the night. She woke up every two hours to nurse. I was just too tired to try to dissuade her and listen to her cry so I let her nurse. This morning I'm wiped out. I am sure I am confusing her. I just don't sleep well with her anymore. I'm happy to keep nursing her I just can't do it all night anymore. I'm just so tired!!
    Yeah see... this doesn't help me eliminate teething pain. Because you were always getting a 3hour stretch in the beginning right? So I think you need to try in at a later feed to see if you can get another 3hour stretch. 2 3hours stretches is 6hours of sleep. That would be better. Another thought I had if it DOES turn out to be teeth is putting her down at some sort of incline. Because often the hurting comes from them being flat on their back.

Way too lazy for formula

I'll try anything. So tonight I put her down at 8 (she's passed out in my arms now, chances are good she'll transfer to the crib ok). Next awakening I give her Motrin and try to put her back in the crib? Then play the rest by ear I guess. Thanks for following and continuing to offer suggestions. I need some improvement tonight...
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Report back in the morning!

Way too lazy for formula

So last night was the worst yet. I put her down at eight and she went into the crib without a problem. She woke up really early, at 10:15. I fed her and lay down with her. She woke up again at one and I gave her Motrin and fed her. Between one and 530 she woke up three or four more times. Every time she woke up I just patted her, sang and got her back to sleep w/o eating. Lots of crying. So I feel like I've ruled out teething pain when it comes to the frequent awakenings.
    I'm toying with a new plan. What do y'all think of this? I think for the next two nights I'm going to not feed her between 11 and six. I'll lay with her and comfort her. After the next two nights I will try putting her in her crib. I'll nurse her until 11 and then when she wakes up after that I'll leave her in her crib. I don't think I can leave her alone b/c I know there will be lots of crying so I'm thinking I'll sit next to the crib for a night or two and see how it goes. My ultimate goal is to get her sleeping in her crib for 6-7 hours a night. I hate the thought of her crying but I need a plan!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tampamama View Post
    So last night was the worst yet. I put her down at eight and she went into the crib without a problem. She woke up really early, at 10:15. I fed her and lay down with her. She woke up again at one and I gave her Motrin and fed her. Between one and 530 she woke up three or four more times. Every time she woke up I just patted her, sang and got her back to sleep w/o eating. Lots of crying. So I feel like I've ruled out teething pain when it comes to the frequent awakenings.
    I'm toying with a new plan. What do y'all think of this? I think for the next two nights I'm going to not feed her between 11 and six. I'll lay with her and comfort her. After the next two nights I will try putting her in her crib. I'll nurse her until 11 and then when she wakes up after that I'll leave her in her crib. I don't think I can leave her alone b/c I know there will be lots of crying so I'm thinking I'll sit next to the crib for a night or two and see how it goes. My ultimate goal is to get her sleeping in her crib for 6-7 hours a night. I hate the thought of her crying but I need a plan!
    This is basically what I did with my first daughter. The night-nursing was so extreme- 5-8 times per night at 10 months- that I finally broke. I finally just put her in her crib wide awake and- as a consequence of being wide awake- screaming mad. She marched around her crib crying while I say next to her on the floor, singing songs and trying to comfort her. Finally, after about 1/2 an hour of angry and sad cries, she hiccuped herself to sleep and slept around 7 hours straight. The next night was the same thing, only this time it took 20 minutes instead of 30. The next night was about 10-15 minutes, and thereafter my LO went right to sleep. It was BRUTAL. No fun for me, and obviously just awful for her. But it was what I needed to do in order to take care of her without resentment and anger- I was becoming literally afraid that I would wake up one night, for the umpteenth time, and go in and shake her. So I totally get that a mom can get to the breaking point- but I wouldn't recommend trying any sort of method that allows for a lot of crying unless you really are at the breaking point. And if you're at the point where total weaning seems attractive to you, maybe you're there.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So I thought I'd give an update. Last night went pretty well. After a lot of soul-searching yesterday and a lot of research, My husband and I developed a plan for a modified cry it out. We put her down at 7:30 awake and let her cry for increasingly longer intervals. We started at three minutes then moved to five then 10. By 820 she had fallen asleep. I went in and checked on her every so often and reassured her. My intention was to repeat this every time she woke up unless three hours had passed at which time I was going to feed her first. I didn't feel like it was fair to make her go all night without eating when she's used to nursing most of the night. It went incredibly well. After she fell asleep at 8:20., She slept until a dream feed at 10 and then slept until 430. At 4:30 I pulled her into bed with me and nursed her for a while and We both fell back to sleep until about six. I don't recommend it for everyone. It was really hard to hear her cry. However, I feel so much better this morning that I'm not thinking about weaning anymore. I think we're on the right path for us. I'm sure there are tough nights ahead. I appreciate everyone's support and helping me think through this. I know there will be critics about crying it out but for us it was the best solution at this time.

There is a new book out on amazon called Sally Weans from Night Nursing that is for the child to read with Mommy, and it gives them a sense of how the whole weaning process of night nursing happens and what he benefits are. It is awesome. Just a suggestion. Or you could write your own little book for the little one. It can be really exhausting, I know the feeling to be on at night and during the day. I think each Mom knows when she needs more balance in terms of sleep. Also the more active they become in the day the harder it is to be up all night. Best wishes.

There is a new book out on amazon called Sally Weans from Night Nursing that is for the child to read with Mommy, and it gives them a sense of how the whole weaning process of night nursing happens and what he benefits are. It is awesome. Just a suggestion. Or you could write your own little book for the little one. It can be really exhausting, I know the feeling to be on at night and during the day. I think each Mom knows when she needs more balance in terms of sleep. Also the more active they become in the day the harder it is to be up all night. Best wishes Mom (: