Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does your baby "ask" to nurse?

Default Re: How does your baby "ask" to nurse?

Ds was simply very uninterested in nursing, at least during the day, from 10-13 mo. From then until now with verbal milestones and teething, it's like having a newborn again. I can't remember what he did to ask. I think it was pulling at my shirt, usually in the grocery store. At 16 mo he finally started signing milk back to me. Then he called it milk, then nurse, and now at 26 mo it's 'have boobies!' I made the mistake of calling my breasts boobies when he pointed to them and asked 'is?' one day. He's very clear about it, too.

What about dental caries? Is his teeth healthy? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons; I don't wish to wean but I'd like to get all opinions and thoughts. She just asked me for "Ninga Momma!", we call breast milk ninngy. So here we go...............
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

My son would usually get cuddly and nuzzle me when he was ready for nursing, or he'd pull my hair and gnaw on my face. I made a point of offering nursing whenever he got fidgety, which could be several times in an hour, even.

He was getting more verbal around 10ish months, and I think he'd say "mama nur" for nurse. Around one year, "nurse" quickly morphed to "nurse boob out!" At 21 months, I now get a detailed set of instructions on where/how to nurse (e.g. "I want to nurse on the gray pillow upstairs please.") It changes quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    My almost 9 month old "asks" by divebombing onto my chest, ha! Or trying to latch through my shirt.
    YES. My twins headbutt me, or sometimes other people, when they want milk. The younger twin is especially forceful, and I find it hilarious. They've tried sucking through my shirt, too. They're only 5 months old.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/
    Here's a great article on caries, newboob.

Holy crap! That is amazing; when my nephew went to his first dentist appointment and cavities were discovered, the docs asked my sister is she breastfed and for how long; to that she replied, "Yes and two and a half years", at which time they scolded her telling her that breastfeeding was to blame for the trouble! In reality, his "grandma" was giving him an endless supply of cheesy poofs and regular soda! Back to the article: I like the part that compared breastmilk to water in terms of sugar! Thanks for posting that.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

I was just thinking Saturday that my current nursling doesn't really give me a good clear sign like my oldest one did. DS1 would "pant" at me. No clue where he got it from but he started around 6 months or so? it was hillarious. I actually miss that DS2.. I guess the closest to a sign he wants to eat besides just general fussiness is trying to bite my chin. But he doesn't do that every time either. I used to think I wasn't in tune with my baby if I couldn't figure out what he wanted... not so at all! I just had to figure out each time what he needs since he changes it up on me.
    Last edited by @llli*5ofus; August 12th, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy. Not quite weaned, but slowly getting there.
    New little one born 11/13/12 nursing great and making us all smile! Back to at work , , and LO finally enjoying

Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog - my avenue of release these days!

I have a 10 month old. Like your baby he is super distracted much of the time when nursing. I find we get the bulk of the nursing done when he is sleepy, either about to fall asleep or having just woken up from a nap. I tend to offer him the breast a lot, just in case. Sometimes he only takes a quick drink before rolling off and headed off on some mission.

I also offer him the opportunity to nurse when I feel like nursing, even if I get no cues from him.

When he does "ask" to nurse, he climbs in my lap and nuzzles my chest, turning his head in.